Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Upgrading to Windows 7 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/19364-upgrading-windows-7-a.html)

Wolfx25 June 27, 2009 10:09 PM

Upgrading to Windows 7

Hey,

Ok, so let's say I decide to upgrade the windows vista that's supposed to be installed on my Dell Studio 14z to Windows 7. Would pre-ordering an upgrade copy from bestbuy
cover me? Furthermore, would I be able to use all my laptops components (bluetooth, graphic drivers, wireless card, FN keys)?

Thanks!

Wolf

stoanee June 27, 2009 10:37 PM

Check here for info...

Windows 7 - Buy and download from Microsoft Store

grinder June 27, 2009 11:13 PM

i think stoanee is hinting on the windows 7 upgrade advisor program you can download from windows to analyze your machine for compatability.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

upgrade OS's are a pain in the but, but it's hard to argue with the price.

to directly answer your question about the function key drivers and stuff.. 9 times out of 10 the vista drivers will work with windows 7. for the 1 in 10 times that the vista drivers tank, you should try windows 2008 server drivers (which are unlikely in your case because you are running a laptop).

JD June 28, 2009 09:43 AM

If you're just buying the PC, wait and see if Dell offers a free Windows 7 upgrade voucher with it before buying it.

Everything would work perfectly out of the box with Windows 7. It has the best hardware support of any Windows version out there. And if something isn't there, it's typically on Windows Update. Didn't have to install anything manually on my XPS m1330.

Wolfx25 June 28, 2009 10:04 AM

That's good to hear, the upgrade voucher would be nice. At the rate it's taking Dell to build and ship it, I think Windows 7 might be out by then.

kingnubian June 28, 2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 215017)

This may be a dumb question but at $99 USD for the W7 Pro pre-order this seems a better price than even the $124 CAD that BB & FS Canada are charging. Any issues with going for the Download Pre-order directly from Microsoft for $99 USD even if I live in Canada??

Wolfx25 June 29, 2009 07:24 AM

Well 99 US comes out to around 114 Canadian, so if that extra 10 bucks is important, go for it!

kingnubian June 29, 2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfx25 (Post 215502)
Well 99 US comes out to around 114 Canadian, so if that extra 10 bucks is important, go for it!

Actually it works out to more than $10 when taxes (I am in Quebec so the taxes aren't trivial) & quantity are factored in. Since between my friends & I we will be going for 3-5 copies , a mix of home & pro, it adds up.

Wolfx25 June 29, 2009 10:44 PM

Ouch, hadn't thought about that. We only have 5% here. Still it's good to hear that the drivers will be compatible with Win7.

kingnubian June 30, 2009 12:31 PM

Called Microsoft & even for the downloaded edition of Windows 7 the credit card used has to match the address registered with the card issuer. Not a problem since I do have U.S. contacts.
What's funny is that depending on what state the card holder lives in, there may or may not be tax added. For example my buddy is in Maryland and there will be no tax added to his pre-order while my cousin in NYC will have 8% added to the pre-order price. Thankfully my contact lives in Arizona where no tax will be added.

Going to pre-order 3 copies of Home & 2 Pro.