Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2009, 04:17 PM
Allstar

Right, and that means this:

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
Quote:
Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista

If you have purchased an Upgrade license together with a Windows Vista DVD, you must use one of the following methods.

Method 1

Purchase a full version of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

Method 2

1. Remove the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
  2. Install Windows XP.
  3. Install the 64-bit version o
or

Quote:
Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on a computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows XP or of Windows 2000

Most Windows XP and Windows 2000 users have the 32-bit version of these operating systems. For example, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, Windows Tablet Edition and Windows Media Center Edition only come in 32-bit versions. For these operating systems, there is no upgrade installation path available when you upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system. However, you can perform a custom installation that uses an upgrade license.

After you purchase a Windows Vista DVD, follow these steps:
  1. Back up all the data and the settings by using Windows XP Backup.

Note You can also use Windows Easy Transfer. This back up program is available on the Windows Vista DVD. However, you must use the version that is on the 32-bit Windows Vista DVD if you want to use Windows Easy Transfer to back up a 32-bit version of Windows.
  2. Insert the 64-bit version of Windows Vista into the system DVD drive, and then restart the computer.
  3. Start Windows Vista Setup from the DVD when you are prompted.

Note You must start Windows Vista Setup by starting the computer from the Windows Vista 64-bit DVD. The installation package will not run on a 32-bit operating system.
  4. When you are prompted during Windows Vista Setup, remember to select Custom as the installation type.
  5. After installation is complete, you can restore the data from its backup location.
both methods of upgrading from 32bit OS to 64bit OS require you to have a 32bit OS installed first and be in the desktop...

Also, upgrading from 32bit OS to 32bit Vista requires the previous OS installed:

Installation choices for consumer versions of Windows Vista (32-bit only)

Quote:
Installation choices for Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Professional N Editions

Upgrade

If you have Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Professional N Edition installed, you can upgrade to the following versions of Windows Vista:
  • Windows Vista Business
  • Windows Vista Ultimate
Note Make sure that you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed before you upgrade to Windows Vista.

After you purchase the retail store package or download Windows Vista from the Windows Marketplace Web site, follow these steps:
  1. On the computer that you want to upgrade, visit the following Web site to obtain the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor: Get Windows Vista: Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (Get Windows Vista: Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor)
  2. Run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor to check the system's compatibility with Windows Vista.
  3. Insert the Windows Vista DVD.
  4. Select Upgrade during the Setup process.
This doesn't look very appealing to me
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old June 26, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I have a Vista Ulimate 64 bit. Win7, here I come

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old June 26, 2009, 04:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inik View Post
Well, I have a Vista Ulimate 64 bit. Win7, here I come

You Go (Gender) Go
Old June 26, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post
You Go (Gender) Go
LOL!

Well, I guess I will find out in October!! I love messin' with my computer anyway.
Old June 26, 2009, 05:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

(Southern Drawl)
Ain"t nothin can"t be fixed one way or another :help:
Old June 26, 2009, 07:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Anyone know if Windows XP Pro 64-bit will upgrade to Windows 7?
Old June 28, 2009, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wait so let me get this straight. I have Windows XP Pro 32 bit, and to upgrade to Windows 7 I need to have some sort of Windows Vista installed first? What if I install Windows 7 RC first? I believe that requires a clean install...
Old June 28, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Windows: Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Seems that us Windows XP users are in luck.

Quick question. Since it's an Upgrade version, how can I install this on multiple computers? I would guess that I'd still do this by activate by phone over the span of a couple months?
Old June 29, 2009, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Only more reason for people to join the dark side........... :D
Old June 29, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bah! When I first read about this I thought it was for the Full Install not the upgrade. I think I will pass and just get the full install OEM when it gets cheap, just like Vista did.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE