Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

As I said earlier I like the RC so I just ordered 3 copies....
Old June 26, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
The forum admin just confirmed that you will need to have a previous OS installed before you can install the Win7 upgrade. This means no fresh installation to Win7 after a reformat which is a hassle. I'd rather just get the full retail. Windows 7 Upgrade - Retail
Usually you just need to let your DVD player sniff the legit OS dvd (Xp, Vista, whatever) and away you go, no complete install needed, I hope that is the way it goes down.
Old June 26, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Now I need to think twice before I decide whether to get Windows 7 or not...Is OEM Windows XP considered legit?
Old June 26, 2009, 01:27 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Usually you just need to let your DVD player sniff the legit OS dvd (Xp, Vista, whatever) and away you go, no complete install needed, I hope that is the way it goes down.

I don't know about that. The admin says you need to start installation at the desktop of the old OS, and not boot from the upgrade DVD. It probably needs to connect to windows genuine advantage or some crap to validate your old OS before it will install. I doubt it will be a simple DVD swap. Just because you have a burned DVD doesn't mean your windows is legit.

I would wait until someone confirms that you can install from boot before I order any. I'm not buying an upgrade version that needs to install from desktop. That is just too inconvenient.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old June 26, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well it was also mentioned in the 32 to 64 bit upgrade thread that you boot from the dvd not the OS. Hope that is the case, otherwise I will have 2 upgrades to sell.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
Old June 26, 2009, 02:34 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have several PCs, so I may bite on this offer (have not decided). Installing from another OS is a pain IMO, and I would rather just get an OEM copy when it comes out. However, I like to use legit OSes, so a cheapo upgrade copy might be good enough for one of my rigs or laptop.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 26, 2009, 02:34 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Well it was also mentioned in the 32 to 64 bit upgrade thread that you boot from the dvd not the OS. Hope that is the case, otherwise I will have 2 upgrades to sell.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista

^ those are only for instructions for upgrading from 32bit XP to 64bit vista . If you are upgrading from 64bit XP to 64bit vista, or from 32bit xp to 32bit vista, you need to install from the XP desktop.

Also, since this is not a vista upgrade, but a win7 upgrade, it could very well be different when the final product ships.

I suppose it'd be less of a hassle to image your new win7 installation right away, and that would suffice for most applications in which you need to reformat without new hardware, but it'd still be a huge hassle if you are upgrading components that need a fresh installation of the OS. I'd rather just get full retail if there is no option to install from boot. I would wait for confirmation. Does someone have an ID on the microsoft forums to ask?
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.

Last edited by thenewguy001; June 26, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old June 26, 2009, 02:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I"ve got an OEM version of Vista64 on the PC. Installed RC7off the net (clean install), I got an e-mail direct from MS earlier thanking me for participating in the RC and inviting me to now buy the upgrade ( donate money ).
Vista OEM over it"s lifetime was re-validated once because of numerous hardware updates and re-installs so I think Oem makes no difference except like Vista, W7 may need a phone call to MS every now & then for re- validation or re-activation...
Longest message I think I scratched out.. Whoo..
Old June 26, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
^ those are only for instructions for upgrading from 32bit XP to 64bit vista . If you are upgrading from 64bit XP to 64bit vista, or from 32bit xp to 32bit vista, you need to install from the XP desktop.

Also, since this is not a vista upgrade, but a win7 upgrade, it could very well be different when the final product ships.

I suppose it'd be less of a hassle to image your new win7 installation right away, and that would suffice for most applications in which you need to reformat without new hardware, but it'd still be a huge hassle if you are upgrading components that need a fresh installation of the OS. I'd rather just get full retail if there is no option to install from boot. I would wait for confirmation. Does someone have an ID on the microsoft forums to ask?

Well they say this.....
Upgrading from XP SP3 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit possible? [with 64 bit supported hardware]
Old June 26, 2009, 03:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:

When I installed the RC on my lappy I went from Businessx86 to W7x64
The upgrade being offered should be a breeze considering the RC had to first be downloaded then burned to an ISO disk and crossed your fingers it worked.
Then had to download some utilities from Lenovo, everything good!!