Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2009, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm in! I'll definitely pre-order, maybe even 2 copies. :)
Thanks for the tip.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 25, 2009, 10:58 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

damn, ya beat me to it this morning. Serves me right for stopping by Timmies first :S
Old June 25, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Maybe it's time to make my first OS purchase. My Windows XP is the OEM version that schools get..

What's the difference between Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional? Is it worth the difference?

Limitations are similar to that of XP Home and Pro. Pro features a few more advanced networking features, primarily useful for those with home serve environments and wanting to have the added benefit of being able join and set rules in your domains (good if you have kids who have their own computer, and you have a central server in the home for files and movie storage etc.)

Also includes XP compatibility mode and an backup program. You won't be able to host Remote D' sessions, though you can receive.

From the initial sounds of it, I wouldn't say it is worth the extra price tag, as most of that stuff is non crucial for many users, unfortunately at this time we don't know more.

Halfway down this link to wikipedia is a good comparison of versions:

Last edited by FiXT; June 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old June 25, 2009, 11:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Once that promotion ends and starting Oct. 22, existing XP and Vista customers in the U.S. will buy Home Premium for $119.99, Professional for $199.99 and Ultimate for $219.99. New customers will pay $199.99 for Home Premium, $299.99 for Professional and $319.99 for Ultimate.
?? i thought it was supposed to be cheaper than vista was? i got vista ultimate for $200CAN, NO WAY IN HELL i'm payin $320 US for win7 ultimate..

Old June 25, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
?? i thought it was supposed to be cheaper than vista was? i got vista ultimate for $200CAN, NO WAY IN HELL i'm payin $320 US for win7 ultimate..
Windows 7 Pricing Released, The Final Question is Answered | Hardware Canucks

According to the CURRENT retailer pricing. Home Premium will be cheaper. Pro will be roughly the same price, and Ultimate will be ridiculously more expensive.

MSRP from Microsoft states that pricing will be the same for Pro/Ult according to what they sell it for on their store. Maybe it will drop in price when it hits retailers shelves?
Old June 25, 2009, 11:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

hopefully it will drop, i really have no need for ultimate so i'll prolly just go with pro, just ultimate sounds better. :P hehe

Old June 25, 2009, 02:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yes! Maybe Microsoft don't kick kittens in the face after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
damn, ya beat me to it this morning. Serves me right for stopping by Timmies first :S
I'm reading "I went to Tim Hortons' and regret it now" but I don't understand... Wouldn't that be breaking a universal constant?
Old June 25, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll keep my Vista for now, until 2 of the following 4 happen:
1) I see enough reviews that say Windows 7 is worth the upgrade and not plagued by security, usability, performance, or compatibility bugs
2) All the development software I use begins to officially support Windows 7
3) I get a DirectX11 graphics card and some game or app that uses it
4) Something I NEED only runs on Windows 7

I just can't jump into a new Windows, after being a victim of the "Express" upgrade to Vista, and watching my Windows 7 RC's boot loader self-destruct after installing updates. (FYI I am making this post from my Windows 7 RC test machine, after having repaired the bootloader with a combination of FDISK and the install disc)

Anyway as a student I can get Win7 either for free or discounted, provided this deal stands: Microsoft Office for Students - The Ultimate Steal
Old June 25, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Windows 7 Pro > Windows 7 HP :)
Old June 26, 2009, 01:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

Cool. Thanks to TS.