Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   64 bit version (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/1919-64-bit-version.html)

Jim July 15, 2007 08:03 PM

64 bit version
 
vista 64 any good yet or continue with 32 bit for gaming ?

Cheator July 15, 2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 14398)
vista 64 any good yet or continue with 32 bit for gaming ?

I'd be VERY Warry with an Nvidia card. I don't think their 64 bit drivers are good at all.

I compared an x1600 pro to a geforce 7300GT in that OS. normally, the 7300GT should be trailing a bit behind, but it was clear that the x1600pro was more than double the performance in vista x64. I would go for 32 bit

Mars July 16, 2007 03:56 AM

I haven't had any problems, been using the 64-bit version since January. Word is, driver support has improved significantly even in the past couple months.

Eldonko July 16, 2007 08:24 AM

Vista 64bit works well for pretty much everything Ive tried so far. The only things I cant run are F@H SMP and AMD System Manager.

Jim July 16, 2007 09:00 AM

any advantage using it over 32 bit for 32 bit games, performance wise ?

Eldonko July 16, 2007 12:27 PM

32bit games run in 32bit, but Im not sure if it would help with 4GB mem to keep u outta page file. I notice no difference personally.

Mars July 16, 2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 14421)
any advantage using it over 32 bit for 32 bit games, performance wise ?

Performance-wise, no.

Stability-wise, if you have 4GB or more, yes. Some new, big games (Stalker, Supreme Commander) hit up against the 2GB per program limit of 32-bit operating systems, and crash as soon as they do so. This limit is gone in 64-bit operating systems.

See this link, it does a pretty good job of explaining it.

lowfat July 24, 2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars (Post 14441)
Performance-wise, no.

Stability-wise, if you have 4GB or more, yes. Some new, big games (Stalker, Supreme Commander) hit up against the 2GB per program limit of 32-bit operating systems, and crash as soon as they do so. This limit is gone in 64-bit operating systems.

See this link, it does a pretty good job of explaining it.


Personally with both those games I never saw ram usage more than 1500MB on Win XP 64-bit. Dark Messiah was the only game I had which broke over 2GB of usage (2400 of total memory was in use).

I'll be tying Vista here in the next few days.

Gamashinoch July 25, 2007 04:40 AM

Vista 4 months ago negative. Vista now is fine. Driver support has greatly improved. Just expect headaches with SLi setups is all.

not to mention, shut off windows defender and UAC or you'll go crazy.

wpurcell August 12, 2007 07:36 AM

Hello! Is Directx X out yet? I've got two 8800GTS's I'd like to install, but I found that the antialiasing (FS 9 and X) was very poor, compared to the 7950's in XP and Vista32. I may try Vista 64 bit in the next few weeks. Any advantages to be had? P5N-SLI Mobo/Intel C2D 6600/4MB OCZ 667.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:00 PM.