Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2009, 03:58 PM
Top Prospect

Question Vista or Linux Bootloader??

I've always dual booted Linux with XP and used grub to handle the boot loading.

This time I have a fresh install of Vista SP2 (x64) and Linux Mint 7.
Should I leave grub to deal with it all again, or should I use EasyBCD to get Vista's bootloader to take over?
Other than being able to use iReboot is there any reason to bother??

This is what I'm considering, choose a bootloader: How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
Old June 2, 2009, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Use the vista bootloader. That is what I did before and it worked good.

Plus as I have learned from work that if you are using grub and decide to ghost your machine, grub will usually not work after the restore. Just a huge hassle.

Old June 3, 2009, 04:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Both will be fine, so pick the one you like best/have more experience with. You could always change your mind later anyway.

Quote:
Plus as I have learned from work that if you are using grub and decide to ghost your machine, grub will usually not work after the restore.
This is either a problem with the cloning software not doing it's job correctly, or an incorrect manipulation. I already done it and had no problem. The only special thing with grub that other bootloader might not have is that it's storing some bootloading code in the DOS compatibility zone (sector LBA1 to LBA62).

Old June 3, 2009, 04:19 PM
Top Prospect

Well I tried the Vista bootloader way and all in all it was an epic fail.
Sure I laugh now, but I sure wasn't at the time.

The short of it all is that I followed every direction to a "T", tried other "things", tried the beta version of EasyBCD, I did it all and still no dice.

I ended up boot to Linux Mint again with the install disc and recovered my Grub.
Now everything is right as rain!

I've never had issues with imaging my drives on a dual-boot system. Though I do use Acronis, maybe it handles it better than say Norton Ghost?

My recommendation when dual-boot Vista and Linux (Vista installed first), is stick with the Grub!
Old June 3, 2009, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

use either one it doesn't really matter they both do the same thing
Old June 3, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The issue ghost has with grub is that it stores its bootloader information based off of sectors. So when you bring that image over to a different machine with a different drive it doesn't have everything in exactly the same sectors and therefore can fail. Of course it could have been just the build it self, I was not the one that installed Ubuntu on it so I can't be totally 100% if they did it right, then again Acronis worked.

As to what Magnetar said, I ended up using Acronis at work and it worked without any issues. From my understanding it did a sector by sector copy of the ubuntu partition and did the windows partition normally. This left the image at a comfortable size and let it work properly.

Tags
dual boot , linux , linux mint , vista