Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2009, 06:34 PM
Top Prospect

Default What is a 'Active Desktop Recovery' Error

I have been having a problem with my Rig for a couple of weeks and I need to fix it. I have been getting this Error when or after I get a BSOD and my Rig reboots. I get the 'Active Desktop Recovery' Warning.
Then it asks me if i want to contine with my Desktop recovery.
If I hit yes I get this Error:
Internet Explorer Script Error
Line:65
Char:1
Error: Object doesn't support this action
Code:0
URL: FILE: ///C:/Documents%20and%
20 settings/administrator/Application%
220 Data/Microsot/Internet%20explorer/Desktop.htp
Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
Yes No

Please can someone help make sense of what is happening.
I am running Win XP32 __________________
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old May 29, 2009, 07:43 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I found a couple of simple possible solutions:

Quote:
Just right click desktop, select settings and change your screen resolution. Click okay and problem is solved (obviously you can then change your resolution back).
Quote:
desktop.htt pretty much controls the size and position of your desktop and the wallpaper you have on it, plus it includes a little activeX control to allow you to reshape it..... IE7 is a little bit incompatible with the old profile you may have had already.
Since this file is automatically generated by windows, the best fix is to delete the old one[s] and let windows create a new one. To do this open an explorer window and go to tools > folder options > view, and uncheck hide protected opsys files. Apply and ok. Then do a search in your sys drive [usually c: ] for desktop.htt. It will be in Docs and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
Delete them [it, whatever...]. Close the explorer window, rclick your desktop and click Refresh, and then go back and RECHECK that box. you really don't want those special files exposed all the time!!
If neither of these work for you, google "active desktop recovery error". There are some other solutions involving regedit.

Good luck!
Xigmatek Dark Knight

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
2 x 2 GB Corsair XMS2 1066C5
2 x WD 640 GB Raid 0 + WD 1 TB
Haf 922 / Antec Signature 850
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old May 29, 2009, 10:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

eww... i usually reload windows when it hits that point. Sometimes troubleshooting a windows problem takes up way more hours then a fresh install. </.02>