Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   How to use google to search? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/18362-how-use-google-search.html)

Mark May 28, 2009 01:43 PM

How to use google to search?

I'm trying to find out who the 18 year old was that killed Manny Castillo. There is a publishing band but that never stops the forums. What is a good guide line to find out? I'm sure it was discussed in some forum.

CTA May 28, 2009 02:32 PM

if exact words then use quote for best result such as "Manny Castillo" anyhow i suggest to use more than two words if there is over 1000 results... such as "manny castrillo" kill = "Manny Castillo" kill - Google Search=

another tip; if you want to results from last month (such as news) then go to advance and select date and time...

Mark May 28, 2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA (Post 201662)
if exact words then use quote for best result such as "Manny Castillo" anyhow i suggest to use more than two words if there is over 1000 results... such as "manny castrillo" kill = "Manny Castillo" kill - Google Search=

another tip; if you want to results from last month (such as news) then go to advance and select date and time...

Tried that. It's amazing how google must be policing this somehow . I've tried several ways of searching including by specific date, quotes, exact words and it's dominated by local and national news but no blogs or forum posts!:ph34r:

CTA May 28, 2009 02:58 PM

if you wanna forums the it would be use forums search engine... OR you could use add "site:www.hardwarecanucks.com" without quote (for example)...

for general then try do it yourself
forum "manny castrillo" kill
forums "manny castrillo" kill
vbulletin "Manny Castillo" kill
phpbb "Manny Castillo" kill
etc

Mark May 28, 2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA (Post 201679)
if you wanna forums the it would be use forums search engine... OR you could use add "site:www.hardwarecanucks.com" without quote (for example)...

for general then try do it yourself
forum "manny castrillo" kill
forums "manny castrillo" kill
vbulletin "Manny Castillo" kill
phpbb "Manny Castillo" kill
etc

Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't produce the answere but was a good learning tool none the less.

Thanks.

gingerbee May 28, 2009 03:40 PM

here read this the kid is only 16 at the time 18 now no name will be released TheStar.com | Crime | Accused denies trying to hurt Manny Castillo
For now, the accused's identity is protected by Canada's youth laws. Any information that might lead to his identity can't be published.

CTA May 28, 2009 06:21 PM

no problems

and gingerbee is right

Quote:

Crown prosecutor John Raftery says the teen, then a 16-year-old player with the Erindale team, killed Castillo when he drove him head first into the ground during an illegal tackle after the referee blew his whistle to stop the play.
or

Quote:

A Mississauga teen died from a severe brain injury that rapidly caused him to become brain dead, a court heard today.
a source from Brain injury killed Manny Castillo, trial told - Minute By Minute, Javno

i believe he is guilty anyway...

well maybe if you ask someone from manny castillo's school... or read the blog/gossip news then you might find out...

bushwhacker May 29, 2009 07:14 AM

I use quotes and the + sign a lot. you can also use a - to exclude. The + goes right before the word - no space. When you don't use the + results include all instances of each word as though it was a separate search ... much like saying 'or'. The + forces the search to include all the words of interest in a web page.

Mark May 29, 2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushwhacker (Post 201998)
I use quotes and the + sign a lot. you can also use a - to exclude. The + goes right before the word - no space. When you don't use the + results include all instances of each word as though it was a separate search ... much like saying 'or'. The + forces the search to include all the words of interest in a web page.

Tried that as well. Thanks anyway and I appreciate all the input:)