Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2009, 07:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need gamepad help from Linux gurus, please!

Hi guys!

I'm working on my first Linux project, an emulator box. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04, and what I'm trying to do is have each of my 4 gamepads (two NES to USB adaptors, and two 8 button gamepads) be assigned the SAME position when connected, so that gamepad 1 is ALWAYS js0, and so on. That way, once I have the buttons set in my emulator, they won't change with each reboot.

I found a good start to things on the Ubuntu forums using Udev rules, and I've found some attributes to identify each, and think I know how to create the appropriate rules to make a static SYMLINK for each device. What I don't know how to do is ask the system to put the specific SYMLINK (if its active) in the appropriate "js" position.

Here's the link to my question on the Ubuntu forum:
[ubuntu] How do I get multiple joysticks to be detected in the same order - Ubuntu Forums

If anyone has some insight into the problem, it would be very welcome!

Thanks guys!
Old May 10, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing I can sugest is ask a Linux guru and at this site you probably find a couple
( this is where I go to get most of my Linux answers)
LinuxQuestions.org I am pretty confident some one there will know how to do this or at least point you in the right Dirrection
Old May 10, 2009, 09:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, Shadowmeph! I did some exploring at the link you provided, and I THINK what I need is a "link" command (ln) between the SYMLINK I set up for the particular gamepad, and the js0 directory I want it to go in. Now I just need to find the correct syntax for the command, and make sure I'm not going to screw anything up <laugh>. That said, if anyone else has any advice, I'm still all ears!
Old June 3, 2009, 07:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan500rider View Post
Thanks, Shadowmeph! I did some exploring at the link you provided, and I THINK what I need is a "link" command (ln) between the SYMLINK I set up for the particular gamepad, and the js0 directory I want it to go in. Now I just need to find the correct syntax for the command, and make sure I'm not going to screw anything up <laugh>. That said, if anyone else has any advice, I'm still all ears!
If you're still wondering, the syntax is:
Code:
ls -s [where you want the link to point] [where the link file should be placed]
For example, if I wanted to symlink a directory in my home folder called "music" to a folder named "media" the command would be (note that the media folder doesn't exist, ln just makes a file that points to the folder)
Code:
ln -s /home/matt/music /home/matt/media
Then both
Code:
cd /home/matt/music
and
Code:
cd /home/matt/media
would send me to the music folder. Hope that helps.