Old May 1, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterTrooper View Post
what manual?
The Grub manual.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:57 PM
Rookie

Ok, Im at the point where I just want to get rid of Ubuntu, how can I do that from the live CD and will Vista work fine after I get rid of Ubuntu?
Old May 1, 2009, 01:26 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I don't really see how the startup repair didn't work, but if GRUB is just complaining that the Ubunutu partition is corrupt then you can just erase that partition from Windows install Cd.
Old May 1, 2009, 01:46 PM
Rookie

how would I erase a partition from the windows install DVD?
Old May 1, 2009, 01:54 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Go through the windows install process as normal, to the point when you select a partition to install to. Then, choose the partition with Ubuntu and then click "Advanced" or "Advanced options" (dont remember which, Ha ha!) then there should be an option to delete and/or erase a partition.
Old May 1, 2009, 03:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Well, repairing grub stage1 & stage1.5 is usually easy. I didn't understand cleary what kind of changes you made to your disk partitioning (you added or removed some partitions ?), but reinstalling grub should fix the problem.

The easiest way is, first, to make a grub boot floppy/usb. Then, you boot from it, and you'll get a grub prompt. Then, you enter those simple commands:
  • find /boot/grub/stage2
  • root (hdX, Y)
  • setup (hdZ)
Where X and Y are value you take from the output of the find command. If you don't get any output, well then you have a problem and you'll have to investigate further. In simple setup (i.e. where you have only one drive -- or at least when all your OS are on the same drive), Z will be equal to X, except if you are just weird and installed the bootloader on the data drive...

As for making a grub boot floppy/usb, instructions are here. Creating a GRUB boot floppy - GNU GRUB Manual 0.97
Instructions are for floppy disk; in the case you want to use a usb stick, replace every occurence of "/dev/fd0" to your usb device (you'll need to find this by yourself, but it should be something similar to "/dev/sdb"). Note that you'll lose all the stuff on your usb stick (and you'll need to repartition it after, which you can do with, at least, tools like gparted). Also, note that you should unmount any filesystem on your usb stick before making it grub bootable.

Old May 1, 2009, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Vista's version of fixboot/fixmbr is bootrec: How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

What I'm suggesting will nuke your Ubuntu's bootloader.

Assuming you installed GRUB to your MBR, you can use bootrec to fix your computer.
Get to the command prompt using the steps that the article I linked states, then run this sequence of bootrec:

Code:
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBcd
Also make sure that your Vista partition is the ACTIVE partition on your HDD. I forgot how to do this in Windows, but IIRC a Ubuntu CD has gparted which can select the active partition through a GUI. If a barrage of bootrec did not fix your computer, try setting the windows partition as active.

As a side note, this is normally why I use the Windows bootloader to launch grub - I can pull up the guide if anyone wants it.