Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   IE7-- should I allow it to install? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/174-ie7-should-i-allow-install.html)

Babrbarossa January 2, 2007 07:53 PM

IE7-- should I allow it to install?

Windows downloaded an update for interent explorer 7, but I have heard that one shouldn't download it. Is this idle MS bashing, or are there real problems with it?

BTW-- I would use firefox, as I am aware of its value but unfortunately, we are using netscape 'high-speed' dial-up as we can't get true high-speed here. and the max line speed is 28.8. Firefox does not work well with the dialup accelerator, and prevents access to many sites.

sswilson January 2, 2007 09:25 PM

I've been running it for over a month now and I haven't had any issues.

If you're an IE person you definately want this upgrade.... tabbed browsing takes a while to get used to but it's worth it, pop up blocker works, and there is a new anti-phishing setup as well.

enaberif January 2, 2007 10:40 PM

Phising is available for firefox too.

IE7 FINALLy after what 10+ years decides to use tab browsing?

Firefox for me

Babrbarossa January 4, 2007 07:04 AM

I am running it now, and I haven't found anything awful about it- I also turned the phishing feature off as I can't afford to sacrifice any more speed.

Supergrover January 4, 2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babrbarossa (Post 824)
I am running it now, and I haven't found anything awful about it

Until you have to do a billion updates/patch's.

I agree about tabbed browsing, why the hell did it take MS this long?

I know what you mean about FF on dial up it's a pain.

BALISTX February 12, 2007 11:47 PM

Working for an ISP I've seen lots of issue where IE7 doesn't handle Flash Active X controls very well. I've also seen where if you have Flash Player 9 already installed and you go to a Flash based site you get a warning telling your to upgrade your Flash.

Myself I stick to Firefox.

Babrbarossa February 13, 2007 05:04 AM

I've been getting daily random shut-downs with ie7 for some reason-- haven't noticed the flash problem yet.

cdn_Madrach February 13, 2007 06:49 AM

I've been using it on the wifes laptop for a while now and no major problems yet, but I do have one issue with it and that is mem usage. Man this thing eats mem. Usaully after about 30mins of surfin and tabbin i have to use cacheman to recover mem cause it is using btween 80 and 100 mgs of ram:(
Wifes laptop only averages around 150 mgs of free mem so it tends to slow things down. Just gotta add more mem I guess.

Babrbarossa February 13, 2007 07:23 AM

Wow-- yeah, I just checked, and it's using 125 right now

Gav February 13, 2007 07:26 AM

I use it along with FireFox. I've noticed that it has issues with a few websites I visit and places like our forum, the iTrader tab doesn't work properly but does in IE6.:angry2: