Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2009, 04:50 AM
Top Prospect

Default New motherboard old software

So seeing as i had a motherboard die on me i need a new one

I will be installing this and using all the same components again but what does this mean for all of the programs i had installed on this computer.

I paid for products some where downloaded and a registration key was bought now i seem screwed.

Examle

Sketchup Pro 7 - was downloaded and bought but now i have a new motherboard do i have to buy a new key all over.

Windows Xp - I need a computer up and running and my Xp is installed on the old board that is screwed.

I'll be contacting Asus because this is freaking ridiculous - "O ya we'll RMA your product - It'll take a couple of weeks but ya know sit tight" - WHAT THE >>>>>>

It'll take just as long to send it back to NCIX and even if I had bought it local the 30days is up. Them having a product crap on me is not doing so well for business - Yes i have other computers but they are in use as well - Not cool.

Advice needed before i do something irrational.
Old April 28, 2009, 07:38 AM
Allstar

Is it the same motherboard or a different chipset? If it's a straight across replacement with the same board you shouldn't see any problems software wise.
Old April 28, 2009, 02:14 PM
Top Prospect

Ya but its not going to be a straight across replacement - I needed a freaking motherboard working for tomorrow and am not going to RMA for a Asus P5Q PRO and go buy another one today - I'm getting the Gigabyte EP45 UD3L
Old April 28, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I doubt you will have much of an issue. You should not have any issue with any software you have installed.

The only place where you may have a little bit of an issue is with windows itself. Now I switched from a Nvidia chipset over to an Intel one and I only had to remove the old Nvidia drivers and then install the new Intel ones. Then I just had to reactivate windows. Really no major issues at all. Since you are getting a board with the same chipset I doubt you will have any real issues at all.

Old April 28, 2009, 05:19 PM
Top Prospect

Cool ya that seems to be the case I need to re activate windows everything else is good.

It was most definitely the motherboard.
Old April 28, 2009, 11:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

crappy deal man. I don't mean to harp on you so please don't take offense to this but it truly does pay to file your registrations and keys in hard copy in a file folder somewhere.

If your migration to the replacement board failed there are ways to rip the keys off your old installation hard drive (so long as you don't re-install your OS over top of it). Magic Jellybean keyfinder is one of them.

gl hf
Old April 29, 2009, 03:42 AM
Top Prospect

I still have the serial keys if this is what you mean for XP but I'm not exactly sure.

Could someone expand a little.