Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2009, 11:43 AM
Allstar

Default Problems with a virus

Okay i'm on my friend's computer and he's got a breal bad virus : it mostly affects his internet. I tried with IE and Chrome, and i have serious difficulty to download anything. Sometimes, multiple tabs appears which forces the computer to restart.

It's the kind of virus that makes itself believe as an anti-virus. The anti-virus advertised is called Personal Anti-Virus. I scanned with NOD32, removed some stuff, but didn't fix the problem. Been able to download AVG, but i am unable to update it. I'm scanning with it now, we'll see what happens. I'm gonna run C Cleaner too but i doubt it'll help... I am trying to download super anti spyware but that virus makes all files appear as a danger, same for downloads.

What can i do??

Old April 26, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Download and run Malwarebytes anti-malware program. What you have is not a virus per say, but a rogue program. Here is a guide for removing this pest.
How to remove Personal Antivirus (Removal Guide)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 26, 2009, 12:37 PM
Allstar

Okay thanks i knew it wasn't called a virus, but forgot the name and was kinda in a hurry when i wrote it.

AVG scanned tons of warnings, but i wasn't able to remove them at all.

Guess i'll have to wait for more updates, i won't see my friends in a about two weeks, i may bump this thread much later

Old April 26, 2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

By chance do you speak french. I ask because I have a very good text on how to remove the rogue.
Old April 26, 2009, 12:49 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

go to f-secure and run the on-line scan tool.:

F-Secure Support pages: F-Secure Online Virus Scanner

You can run it from 'safe mode with networking' (F8 at startup of computer)
Old April 26, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
go to f-secure and run the on-line scan tool.:

F-Secure Support pages: F-Secure Online Virus Scanner

You can run it from 'safe mode with networking' (F8 at startup of computer)
I agree with this also make sure you turn off system restore before your scan with Nod or any other virus scanner because the virus might have planted itself in system restore
oh and tell your friend to stop downloading Pron
Old April 27, 2009, 12:33 PM
Allstar

to dataxpert : I do speak french, i'd be happy to have your text, although i now have the information necessary to remove it

Thanks all and i already told him it was obviously because of pr0n. He uses his computer for nothing else than e-mails and picture storage.

When this will be fixed i'll come back to confirm it all worked fine.

Old April 27, 2009, 06:58 PM
Banned

I don't find the text but I'm sure it was on malekal , but here a good link on prevention. he is very good this guy

http://www.malekal.com/fichiers/proj...protection.pdf

I always read all my documentation in english, I have so much hard time with the therme from France, but when it's come to virus, the guy have a good knowledge

here a link to that forum for the rogue,

- Malekal's forum - forum d'aide informatique • Voir le forum - Rogues/Scareware & Programmes douteux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
to dataxpert : I do speak french, i'd be happy to have your text, although i now have the information necessary to remove it

Thanks all and i already told him it was obviously because of pr0n. He uses his computer for nothing else than e-mails and picture storage.

When this will be fixed i'll come back to confirm it all worked fine.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:54 PM
Allstar

Just a little update, said i'd see my friend and fix it in two weeks. When i saw him back, he told me he didn't want to wait and spent 100$ for fixing it... ugh... thanks anyway for you help.