Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Alternative to Ad-Aware SE Pro

So now that Ad-Aware SE Professional is officially discontinued by Lavasoft, what's a good alternative to the program to protect my computer from Adware and Spyware? I like the use of real-time monitoring and I'd like the program to have that as well. I could always use the newer Ad-Aware program but I'd like to know what is recommended here.

I also have KIS installed.
I've heard of SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. Would you guys recommend these two programs?
Old April 15, 2009, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I've heard of SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. Would you guys recommend these two programs?
Its all I will use.

Ad Aware and Spybot have become garbage.
Old April 15, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Malwarebytes is good if you actually have an infection, it doesn't pick up tracking cookies. Superantispyware does and I recommend you use that with malwarebytes... AdAware was always good for tracking cookies though, but spybot didn't find shit for me for months and months.. and it takes forever to scan so I'll never use it again.
Old April 15, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What programs pick up tracking cookies then? I don't know what tracking cookies are, but I don't want them to be in my computer since I know it's a type of malware.

Does KIS do any of the things that Ad-Aware, Super AntiSpyware, and Malwarebytes does?
Old April 16, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just realized that you already answered my question on what programs pick up tracking cookies...

So between Super AntiSpyware and MalwareBytes, which one would you choose? I currently have Super AntiSpyware installed on my laptop and MalwareBytes on my rig in sig. I scanned both using full system scan and Super AntiSpyware detected around 30 tracking cookies on the laptop, while MalwareBytes detected abosoutely nothing.

Also out of the two, what would you choose to install on a SLOW computer. By slow it's a Pentium 4 @ 1.5Ghz with 256MB RAMBUS and 240GB HD, running Windows XP
Old April 16, 2009, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Both :) Superantispyware is good for cleaning up the tracking cookies and not so harmful things, malwarebytes is good if you have a more "less minor" infection. It'll likely never find anything if you keep your PC clean. But if you get one of those popup viruses, malwarebytes will almost always pick it up.
Old April 16, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Jake is 6 foot 2, 210 pounds, and very single. He has brown hair, and dark brown eyes, that are almost black to the human eye, especially while situated away from direct sunlight.
Random facts:
Jake can lift 2 tires over his head in mere seconds. Keep in mind these are bicycle tires. He does not enjoy long walks on the beach.
He is very good at playing frisbee, and enjoys watching the latest murder flick.
His voice is very deep and he can sound just like a radio announcer.
...what the hell, man!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 16, 2009, 07:03 PM
Allstar

LMAO never notice it until now ;)

lol

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old April 16, 2009, 09:23 PM
MVP

SuperAntispyware if you want real-time, but i don't suggest running both KIS & a spyware protection suite.

Unless you're foolish with your online habits, just run KIS & then run SuperAntispyware, MalwareBytes, Spybot occasionally...
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old April 16, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ad-aware se pro was the best out there ) the newer version suck big time) the only thing that I didn't like about it was having to manually update it. Crap cleaner is all you need and if you think something is going on just run hijackthis then and copy/paste the results to this site HijackThis Logfileauswertung and see whats going on