Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2009, 07:24 PM
Trial Member

Exclamation Dual Booting ALWAYS Corrupts New OS

I seem to be doing something wrong when setting up a dual-boot between Vista and XP, with XP installed first.

I have 4 partitions spread over 2 different hard drives.

XP (250GB) (Disk 1 - Samsung Spinpoint 640GB)
Vista (D) (80GB) (Disk 1 - Samsung Spinpoint 640GB)
Linux* (E) (14GB) (Disk 1 - Samsung Spinpoint 640GB)
Shared (H) (320GB) (Disk 2 - Seagate Barracuda 500GB)

XP being the XP partition, Vista being the Vista partition, Linux being an empty partition, for now, and Shared being a Logical parition where My Documents, Music etc. is kept for use on any OS.

I have XP installed, tweaked, updated, everything and have had so for about a month.

I have tried this before so this is not a one time mistake. I boot into the Vista DVD and try to install Vista (x64) to the Vista partition. It always installs perfectly and all goes fine until around the time I use Windows Update.

Previously, when I installed Visa by booting from the DVD I would have a problem with Windows Update where it would get stuck in a Windows Update Stage 3/Restart loop and I would not be able to get back into Vista. No one was able to help me with this problem, so I tried a few more times with no luck, formatting after each failure of course.

I decided to try starting the install by inserting the DVD from XP while still installing it in the Vista partition. This time I got passed Stage 3 but this is when the partition was corrupted. I am not able to run anything, not even WinSAT.exe, the performance indicator, or save anything to that partition while Vista is running.

What am I doing wrong? I have studied many guides from Lifehacker, APC and even YouTube with a magnfying glass and still don't understand what I need to change.

Thanks for taking the time to read, hopefully this will get solved.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:46 PM
MVP
F@H

I've never dual-booted 2 winX's before, but I've learned through linux+winX dual-boots that Vista insists on being the first OS. It could be as simple as that.
Old May 5, 2009, 03:29 PM
HaDeS

vista has to boot 1st and it must be on the 1st partition of the 1st loading drive. You'll need to set the HDD with vista to boot 1st in the bios in order for the OS choosing screen to load. vista doesnt use boot.ini I learned this trying to dual boot win7.