Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2009, 08:57 AM
Allstar

Default March 2009 Direct X Runtimes

Get em while they're hot!

End-User

Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer March 2009 9.26.1590 - This utility will help you easily install the DirectX 9.0c updates - Softpedia

Redist Here ( Requires Validation )

Download details: DirectX Redist (March 2009)
Old April 10, 2009, 08:58 AM
Allstar

BTW It looks like it updates both DX9 and DX10
Old April 10, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't get it. What kind of updates are these? Isn't DirectX run on the hardware, and not necessarily software? Updating your DX shouldn't have an effect on the performance...I'm confused. Someone clarify?
Old April 10, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The updates are for the DLLs and other runtimes for DirectX. I wouldn't know about any performance improvements that come from these updates, but I know that some software will refuse to run properly without DX updates (e.g. the Power Supply test in OCCT). Game DVDs normally bundle a set of DirectX runtimes so people don't complain to tech support about cryptic DLL errors, but getting them from M$ directly gives you a more up to date version.

Although hardware and their drivers embed SUPPORT for DirectX, the DX itself is bundled in Windows. As evidence, this is why Windows XP + GeForce 8/9 / Radeon HD does not give you DX10 gaming, because the Windows doesn't support it (the reason for no DX10 on WinXP is a whole other debate).
Check out this outdated but still valid overview: Just what is DirectX?

I'm no guru on DX however, so I won't mind if someone corrects / adds to / totally rips apart this post ;)
Old April 10, 2009, 07:26 PM
Allstar

Direct X is the software that runs on your hardware. IE none of your directX games ( pretty much all of them) won't run without it.... MS releases updates on a pretty regular schedule that has fixes etc so It's a good idea to update when they are released.