Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2009, 02:43 AM
MVP

Default installing game exe took very long on vista

i got vista 64bit bit with 3gig ram, x2 4400+ and 8800 gts g92.

when i download game demos... when finish download.... when i click on the exe to install it always take very long to apear. sometimes it dont apear it all! like games like The Last Remnants and Medal of Honor Airborne. i cant even install them.

whats wrong?
Old April 9, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What antivirus do you have? It might be scanning its internals for viruses and malware.

Also, because the file is quite large it's probably extracting some info into a temporary folder or it could be caching it to the pagefile. Who knows.
Old April 9, 2009, 03:23 PM
MVP

i dont use any anti virus. but i think vista comes with anti virus.
Old April 9, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just did a short test by double-clicking the >1 GB EXE file for the Quartus 8.1 installer... It's pegged my computer for over a minute and it looks like stuff is being copied from the EXE file (stored in my U:\ drive, which is another partition on my main drive) and C:\Windows\Temp.
When all that finishes, the UAC Cancel/Allow prompt pops up. Disabling AV and Windows Defender does not seem to change this behaviour.

Open up the "Performance and Reliability Monitor" (should be able to get that up by typing into the start menu) and watch the disk activity. It may be that stuffing into temp behaviour. If not, I recommend to restart the computer and try again - I've managed to get Windows (XP or Vista) into a state where any EXE takes a while to launch.
Old April 9, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

4400+ (2.2ghz) is weak on vista seems it likes 3Ghz or better

Hohohee whats your windows experince rating Windows Experence Index score??

post your results an i'll see what can do to bring up the numbers
Old April 9, 2009, 09:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Could be a slow or fragmented hard drive. Or Vista itself might just be corrupted.

I don't know but I somehow "break" my Vista install every couple months, things just start acting weird.
Old April 9, 2009, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17
Could be a slow or fragmented hard drive. Or Vista itself might just be corrupted.

I don't know but I somehow "break" my Vista install every couple months, things just start acting weird.
why you think billy is $o rich with the $upport center raking in the dough
Old April 10, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
Hohohee whats your windows experince rating
WEI scores, run away!
<rant>I don't trust those, after watching my old laptop with a graphics score of 2.0 running Aero fine, or watching Vista on a virtual machine that was stored on a USB external hard drive getting a 5.9 on the hard disk score. Also an OC'd GeForce 7900 GS will give you a 5.9 on GPU score but still get eaten alive by Crysis.</rant>

Looking at Task Manager / Performance Monitor's numbers while you try to launch those big EXEs or perform the tasks that cripple your PC are much better at identifying bottlenecks. Upgrade / tweak the parts that bottleneck you, not the parts that some bench says is too low. (the rare exception being if low numbers bother you)