Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2009, 09:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

i'm going to try that freeware program somebody posted, see if vista's doing an adequate job...

does it analyze before you have to do the defrag? I miss WinXP's visual representation of the fragmented files :(
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old April 1, 2009, 09:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It gives you a pictoral representation of your HD. (Yup, pink, greens and red).
Old April 1, 2009, 10:27 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've only used the Vista defrag tool but I've been looking for something better. I find that the vista one takes way too long to defrag my HD. When I get home tomorrow night and off of my very restricted work laptop I'm going to download and try the JkDefrag. I also see on the O&O website that there is a trial version. Is it wise to just stick to one tool for defragmenting or can you try out a few different ones to see what you like working with?
Old April 1, 2009, 11:46 PM
Top Prospect

To save chance of conflicts, I would evaluate one, uninstall it, install the next one. evaluate it, uninstall, repeat as required. Or you could search for disc defragmentor comparison reviews on the web.

Panasonic Toughbooks
CF-18, CF-19, CF-29, CF-31, CF-52GUN

ThinkPads
X301, A31p

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!
Old April 2, 2009, 12:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

WinContig is another great one that is free and also allows entire drive or just folders.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

whoa... i used the jkdefrag, and sure enough, my hard drive wasn't completely unfragmented.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old April 2, 2009, 09:59 AM
Rookie

I vote for O&O Defrag
Old April 2, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
I've only used the Vista defrag tool but I've been looking for something better. I find that the vista one takes way too long to defrag my HD. When I get home tomorrow night and off of my very restricted work laptop I'm going to download and try the JkDefrag. I also see on the O&O website that there is a trial version. Is it wise to just stick to one tool for defragmenting or can you try out a few different ones to see what you like working with?
I don't think JKDefrag is the fastest tool out there, but it is very thorough and customizable. If you want fast, Auslogics is pretty darn quick about it.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 2, 2009, 02:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
Remember, O&O is on sale at NCIX right now! I grabbed a copy even though my current doesn't expire till October, I mean, free shipping on $900 worth of parts? Yes!

Can you please post a link to it as I have searched NCIX and can't find it. Thanks.
Old April 2, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Question... what is it about something like O&O that makes it worth paying for it, as opposed to the plethora of free defraggers out there, such as JK or Auslogics?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE