Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Any benefits of installing Windows 7 64 bit vs 32 bit? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/15997-any-benefits-installing-windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit.html)

HoTiCE_ March 20, 2009 11:49 AM

Any benefits of installing Windows 7 64 bit vs 32 bit?

I'm about to reinstall my rig and was wondering if there was any benefits of installing windows7 64 bit vs the standard 32bit?

I've always stayed away from 64 bit by reflex for fear of lack of drivers/compatibility issues with games/etc...

Is it faster?

One thing I noticed is that my current windows 7-32bit detects 4gb or RAM but also displays 3.25GB usable... I imagine this is a 32bit limitation?

cadaveca March 20, 2009 12:22 PM

Yep. you got it on the memory thing, and is one of the first reasons to go 64-bit!

I have had...5...yes, just 5...older games not work in 64-bit Vista...but turns out they don't work in 32-bit either, so I'm fairly confident that any app-compatibility issues in that regard are already dealt with by either to program developer, or Microsoft.

Played Commander Keen the other day with my son, that's a DOS app...not problem, thanks to STEAM. :biggrin:

Chilly March 20, 2009 12:25 PM

No reason not to go 64Bit(on a new install anyways) in my opinion! :thumb:

Quote:

I've always stayed away from 64 bit by reflex for fear of lack of drivers/compatibility issues with games/etc...
This hasn't been an issue in a long while, I can't think of the last time I had a compatibility issue with 64Bit Windows, and I've been running 64Bit Vista since day one!

HoTiCE_ March 20, 2009 12:39 PM

Thanks all for your input

Love this forum

Eldonko March 20, 2009 12:47 PM

I agree, there is really no reason to not use a 64bit OS these days. W7 64 working great for me, I love it.

overlords March 20, 2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadaveca (Post 166752)
Yep. you got it on the memory thing, and is one of the first reasons to go 64-bit!

I have had...5...yes, just 5...older games not work in 64-bit Vista...but turns out they don't work in 32-bit either, so I'm fairly confident that any app-compatibility issues in that regard are already dealt with by either to program developer, or Microsoft.

Played Commander Keen the other day with my son, that's a DOS app...not problem, thanks to STEAM. :biggrin:

Commander Keen huh? That takes me back. Pretty old stuff you're pushin on the youngsters :haha:

Realityshift March 20, 2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

I loved commander keen, howd you get it running via steam?

cadaveca March 20, 2009 03:05 PM

Clicked the icon in STEAM?:haha: with the NewYear's sales I bought the ID pack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 166779)
Commander Keen huh? That takes me back. Pretty old stuff you're pushin on the youngsters :haha:

Yep. jsut giving them the same fun I had...was good for me, should be good for them!

:punk:

tyreman March 21, 2009 04:01 AM

If you got time load it up.
See what it does.

gingerbee March 21, 2009 05:22 AM

64 all the way i won't run anything else