Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2009, 12:12 AM
Top Prospect

Default THe Ultimate steal

I know that you guys are familiar with Microsoft ultimate steal program where if you are a student you get some really good discounts on Office and Vista. My question is if I were to buy the Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate UPGRADE is this actually a full copy of Vista Ultimate that I can install on my new build or do I actually have to have a preexisting Microsoft OS to use this copy?

CANADA KICKS ASS GAMING CLAN

Old March 20, 2009, 05:31 AM
Rookie

I haven't dealt with upgrade versions of OS's since 95/98 days, however I would assume you would need a previous version of Windows (you did back then). My reasoning for this is simply because the upgrade versions are cheaper, which I would assume is made possible because you've already dished out money for a previous OS and thus Microsoft sort of "rewards" you with a discount.

EDIT: The upgrade version would still be the "full" version of vista (vista is completely recoded and doesn't run of XP's base, ie. like how 7 runs of vista's base). However, it won't install without first seeing there's a previous OS to validate the whole discount part of things. This is also all just speculation and guess work on my part though.
Old March 20, 2009, 07:57 AM
Banned
F@H

Ok, so, if this is an upgarde version, you can "cheat" to not need a previous OS, but you'll have to isntall Vista twice...

You install a lower version of Vista first...like Home Basic, without entering a CD key(Vista allows 30 days "preview" without a key), and from the desktop, install again, this time going to your purchased version. Once you've done that, you can use the disk cleanup tool to delete the extra files left over from the upgrade, and you are good to go.
Old March 24, 2009, 04:40 PM
MVP

i got the same thing. it is an upgrade and is like xp home in that regard. i ahve an upgrade for that os and every time i have to reformat i need to dig out my OLD win98se disk to "prove" i am alowed ot use the disk.

its the entire os but you'll have to prove you have a copy of something else.

cheers

rob123
Old March 24, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Ok, so, if this is an upgarde version, you can "cheat" to not need a previous OS, but you'll have to isntall Vista twice...

in win xp... i didn't... i just installed win xp pro upgrade first then after format hdd, it will prompt to tell me inside cd of window xp home or pro sp 1/2 as full installation of win xp... when its done then it prompts you to inside cd of upgrade of winxp again...

it tooks almost same time as i installed fully...

i dont know about vista tho...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.