Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2009, 09:18 AM
Top Prospect

Default [solved] system problem

Shortly after I installed a windows update (xp), my computer will randomly start running slow. Upon opening the task manager, I find that the process labeled "system" is pegged out and using all the cpu. Nothing will fix this except a restart and setting its priority to 'below normal' is forbidden for some reason. I've ran several malware scans using avg, avast, ad-aware, and SpyBot-S&D. Is there any way I can fix this?

Last edited by Mysteryous; March 16, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old March 14, 2009, 09:49 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I have seen this a couple times lately. An ms patch is causing some hard drives to run in PIO mode, the system usage is from your hardware interrupts being pegged to the max. Check this blog out:

FrazzledDad: Lousy Performance, High Hardware Interrupt Usage
Old March 14, 2009, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect

Nope, that doesn't fix it either. I'm starting to get really irritated at this.

Edit:
I invoked system restore, but still the problem persists. I ran Ccleaner, I checked out Process Explorer but got nowhere. I feel like I've done everything and this problem refuses to be solved. When I upgrade my pc (which will be soon), I will make a point of moving entirely to Ubuntu. you windoze!

Edit:
12:38AM
After calming down and tinkering with Process Explorer, I found a process labeled cx88enc.sys with the start address of cx88enc.sys+0x367a. This is the process that is hogging all the system resources. However, simply killing the process isn't allowed. I also figured out that the process is tied to my asus tv capture card, which I never use in windoze because all the tv viewing programs aren't free.

Final Edit:
After a good nights sleep, I uninstalled the drivers for my tv tuner card and the problem was solved. I don't use it in windoze anyway, so no loss there. Thank you Sqeetard for the link; for, without it, I would not have found Process explorer, which helped me in finding the root of my problem.

Last edited by Mysteryous; March 15, 2009 at 08:55 AM.