Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Defraggler and Vista - Paging File

Hey folks....odd thing is occuring while defragging my 2 Hard Drives this morning.
Now, I have re-set my Paginf File to my secondary WD Black Drive and "thought" I'd removed it from my Raptor Drive...
as in 0 Paginf File size in Raptor "C" Drive and min / max perameters set on WD Black Drive.
Reboot and what not.
Now, when I run Disc Defraggler and do a complete 100% Defrag on my Raptor Drive "C" (which my OS is on)...it still shows a large block of which is my Paging File...? Go figure...
thought this would be "gone"?
Also, after competeing a Defrag on my Raptor it still shows 20GB as "fragmented, as in lots of "red blocks"....? I've tried running it a few times with the same result each time.
My WD Black Drive of which my Paging File has been placed on, does show the Paging File on thier as well in Defrag.

Can anyone shed some light...I've always changed Paging Files around in the "System / Advanced/ Performance...this generally results in it being "gone" if I get rid of it on one Drive and move it to another...this usually reflects correctly in the Defrag as it will no longer appear on the HD from which it has been removed...I 'm stumped.

Old March 12, 2009, 01:09 PM
Top Prospect

I have just started using Vista. While I do not know the exact answer to your trouble, I have found the you need to be signed in as an administrator to do most anything with the file system, other than browse. You might have better luck signing in as administrator then try moving the C:\paging file.

Panasonic Toughbooks
CF-18, CF-19, CF-29, CF-31, CF-52GUN

ThinkPads
X301, A31p

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!
Old March 12, 2009, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There are no other Profiles / Users set up on this Rig....I'd assume I am the administrator...

Old March 12, 2009, 04:29 PM
Top Prospect

When you setup the computer, if it was new, or installed Vista, you should have been asked to set up an administrator password. Then you should have set up the user (you) to login with a password or without. Somethings you can right click on and select 'run as administrator', other things have no option/ability to run as admin under a user login. In that case you need to log out, not reboot, then login as admin with the admin password.
Sorry I was not more clear in what I meant. Hope this helps.

Panasonic Toughbooks
CF-18, CF-19, CF-29, CF-31, CF-52GUN

ThinkPads
X301, A31p

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!
Old March 12, 2009, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Could it be the MFT reserved zone? If you have LOTS of free space on your HDD the MFT will take up a large chunk of it. Once you use up more space the MFT will shrink right down. Not sure if it works the same in Vista as XP?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 12, 2009, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
When you setup the computer, if it was new, or installed Vista, you should have been asked to set up an administrator password. Then you should have set up the user (you) to login with a password or without. Somethings you can right click on and select 'run as administrator', other things have no option/ability to run as admin under a user login. In that case you need to log out, not reboot, then login as admin with the admin password.
Sorry I was not more clear in what I meant. Hope this helps.
Bob - Administrator (I am the administrator - set it up that way)

Old March 13, 2009, 05:53 AM
MVP

I've never de fragged Vista or XP yet.
Its even turned off to try to defrag on a schedule here.
Not necessary well I have had no issues anyway.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old March 13, 2009, 07:29 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

The pagefile is like virtual memory on the hard drive, so the OS can swap data off of the RAM on to the hard drive if it starts to run out of ram. It's like the swap partition in Linux, if you've used that. I'm not sure how but I'm pretty sure you can disable paging and delete the pagefile for defragging. A quick google would probably find the answer.
Old March 13, 2009, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

To defrag/consolidate the page file you set it to zero, reboot to safe mode, defrag, reset pagefile to your size of choice, reboot. However this will move it farther out on the platter so technically it will take longer to access.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 13, 2009, 09:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Try JKDefrag. Free, works awesome. 64-bit version too.

JkDefrag v3.36

If the blocks show in pink in JK, it's the MFT. Red is page/system files.