Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I did set Page File to "0"...both Drives..Reboot...
Ran JkDefrag...however the color blocks within the window look smeared with no ryme or reason....ran it through anyhow.
Reboot Safe Mode all that stuff....
Open Defrag and it still shows a large sector on C Drive as "pagefile.sy"
Also have a small Sector on my F Drive showing as "pagefile.sys"
Yet, when I conduct a "search" for pagefile.sys I get nothing...no hits.
Seems to me on XP if I set a Pagefile it showed under the Drive as a Pagefile Icon....
Where in Vista does this show up.....really stumped here..also, after running Defrag my Raptor Drive still shows with about 16GB Fragmented...out of 35GB used...lots of Red Sectors.....with all that siad, everything seems to be running fine.
Old March 14, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I personally wouldn't even touch the pagefile. Too many things can go wrong when modified. Don't worry about the defrag status of the pagefile. It changes so much because of games, programming, etc. The pagefile is used for overload of the RAM because it can't fit it all on there. It's slow as hell any way you put it. Of course, read times wil be better if defragged, but it shouldn't be that bad if you have a fast HDD.

The way it goes is L1->L2->L3 (depends if CPU has it or not)->RAM->secondary storage device. These are listed from fastest to slowest, however you can also see that they are also sorted from smallest to largest. This is why SSDs are becoming mainstream because the access times are much faster than HDDs and can hold almost the same amount of data. The access times get much closer to RAM, so they could almost be treated at a unity device.