Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Folding discrepancy?

Yeah, so as you may know I got my TX750W back from RMA about 3 days ago, plugged it into my i7 setup, everything works great (open bench for now, waiting for case =( ). I thought I'd give F@H a try because before I was unsure about what exactly it was, I dunno, don't ask

So I DL'ed F@H (The one that shows you the 3D model as it is working but otherwise it runs in the system tray) and fired it up and I only get about 210 iter/sec max. with a 4850 and i7. Sometimes when I open up options and set it to use CPU at 100% capacity the iter/sec jumps up to 600, maybe 700, but then after awhile it goes back down to 200. Sometimes when I go on MSN or FF while F@H is going it will do the same thing, but then it goes down after a short while.

OH, and I'd also like to plug in my 8600 GT just for folding, (as in NOT physX because I caved and went for Vista 'cause it had DX10), but whenever I plug it in with computer off, when it boots it doesn't show the startup screen on the 8600GT or 4850 for that matter, but when I take the 8600GT out it works on 4850. As a side note, at first when I had both the 4850 and 8600GT plugged in at once, Vista somehow automatically got drivers for it (although I don't think that they were the proper ones), but it still displayed off 4850)...what did I do wrong?

TY for all suggestions in advance, and sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I didn't wanna post in the F@H team section because, well, it's a team, and I'm just n00b folder
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old March 9, 2009, 10:34 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
Yeah, so as you may know I got my TX750W back from RMA about 3 days ago, plugged it into my i7 setup, everything works great (open bench for now, waiting for case =( ). I thought I'd give F@H a try because before I was unsure about what exactly it was, I dunno, don't ask

So I DL'ed F@H (The one that shows you the 3D model as it is working but otherwise it runs in the system tray) and fired it up and I only get about 210 iter/sec max. with a 4850 and i7. Sometimes when I open up options and set it to use CPU at 100% capacity the iter/sec jumps up to 600, maybe 700, but then after awhile it goes back down to 200. Sometimes when I go on MSN or FF while F@H is going it will do the same thing, but then it goes down after a short while.

OH, and I'd also like to plug in my 8600 GT just for folding, (as in NOT physX because I caved and went for Vista 'cause it had DX10), but whenever I plug it in with computer off, when it boots it doesn't show the startup screen on the 8600GT or 4850 for that matter, but when I take the 8600GT out it works on 4850. As a side note, at first when I had both the 4850 and 8600GT plugged in at once, Vista somehow automatically got drivers for it (although I don't think that they were the proper ones), but it still displayed off 4850)...what did I do wrong?

TY for all suggestions in advance, and sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I didn't wanna post in the F@H team section because, well, it's a team, and I'm just n00b folder
Welcome to the Team, if you are Folding you're a part of it...

If you want to check your progress use either FahMon; Home | FahMon or FahSpy; Deposit Files to keep track of your ppd.

Don't use the viewer/display it's known to be buggy and will cause your rig to run slow or crash.

If you are trying to Fold with your GPU you can't use both an ATi and Nvidia cards to Fold in the same rig under Vista, it causes driver problems.

If you have any more problems, ask away we are glad to help.

As for being a nOOb folder, we all started that way, again Welcome to the Team...

Old March 9, 2009, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I DL'ed F@HMon and actually it helps iter/sec a bit because I can leave F@H in background and not having to use viewer to check progress, but how can I squeeze out a bit more? I mean, it's i7 and 4850 (Perhaps soon to be CF), how am I only getting 200 iter/sec?

And cheers for the support and understanding when it comes to my experience as a folder, it helps a lot!
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old March 9, 2009, 11:32 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
I DL'ed F@HMon and actually it helps iter/sec a bit because I can leave F@H in background and not having to use viewer to check progress, but how can I squeeze out a bit more? I mean, it's i7 and 4850 (Perhaps soon to be CF), how am I only getting 200 iter/sec?

And cheers for the support and understanding when it comes to my experience as a folder, it helps a lot!
We don't use iter/sec to measure our progress, we use ppd (points per day) so we can compare between different platforms. You can check your ppd in FahMon, if you need help with it's set up refer to this guide http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-progress.html
Again, it's highly recomended Not to use the display (that has iter/sec and the 3d model) as it will slow down your machine and/or cause it to crash.

Because your client has the display I'm presuming you D/L'ed the GPU systray client, that will work for your GPU. For your i7 you need the SMP-CPU console client from here http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...-SMP-mpich.exe. Follow this guide [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - [H]orde Guides very carefully. The main thing is to make sure you install it in a new folder at the root of your main drive, not in the default Program Files (x86) location.

Don't forget to put the right Team number 54196...

Old March 10, 2009, 11:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Is it OK to run the GPU client and the CPU client at the same time or will they interfere with each other? I don't think they should because it's 2 different processors, but just in case...
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old March 10, 2009, 11:16 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You can run both at the same time, just make sure they have different machine ID's. I think they are different by default but it can't hurt to check...

Old April 14, 2009, 04:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

isn't "dangerous" to fold on both cpu and gpu (so using them at 100%) over long term? I mean, it would decrese their life no?
Old April 14, 2009, 04:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You would need to ensure you have sufficient cooling. It does indeed stress your system, so you need to make sure you ahve great cooling, and quality components.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 13, 2009, 07:39 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Is iter/sec the same as ns/sec? Just wondering because that's what I get on my display.