Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2009, 01:25 AM
Top Prospect

Default Windows Server 2008, as my main OS.

Since I am in college and have access to the MSDNAA I decided to try using the server operating system as my main OS. The deciding factor was that Vista was as piece of shit, and I had ran XP for years; so I wanted to try something new. Someone in my class had mentioned that they were trying it, so I Googled it and came across this:

Convert your Windows Server 2008 to a Workstation!

There they have instructions to make the Server operation system run more like a workstation (eg. remove reason for power down), or recently they made a program that will run and do it all for you.

The website describes Windows Server 2008 as "Vista without the bloat", and after using it for two months, I can second their opinion. It has been rock solid. I have been gaming on it for over two months and I haven't experienced any problems. It has many useful tools that only come on a server operating system, making the functionality that much better.

If your not in the MSDNAA then I would just recommend sticking with XP, but if you are in the MSDNAA, they I recommend giving it a shot!

Last edited by decivox; March 2, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old March 2, 2009, 01:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by decivox View Post
Since I am in college and have access to the MSDNAA I decided to try using the server operating system as my main OS. The deciding factor was that Vista was as piece of shit, and I had ran XP for years; so I wanted to try something new. Someone in my class had mentioned that they were trying it, so I Googled it and came across this:

Convert your Windows Server 2008 to a Workstation!

There they have instructions to make the Server operation system run more like a workstation (eg. remove reason for power down), or recently they made a program that will run and do it all for you.

The website describes Windows Server 2008 as "Vista without the bloat", and after using it for two months, I can second their opinion. It has been rock solid. I have been gaming on it for over two months and I haven't experienced any problems. It has many useful tools that only come on a server operating system, making the functionality that much better.

If your not in the MSDNAA then I would just recommend sticking with XP until Windows 7 is released, but if you are in the MSDNAA, they I recommend giving it a shot!
I will run Win2k8 as I won't run Vista AND Win7.

I'll get the best of Win XP and then some of Vista and Win 7 with out the ugliness.
Old March 2, 2009, 01:34 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I will run Win2k8 as I won't run Vista AND Win7.

I'll get the best of Win XP and then some of Vista and Win 7 with out the ugliness.
Yea I haven't tried Windows 7 myself, but all I have heard about it is praise. I tried to download it when the beta was out, but the download didn't work with Firefox, and I was too lazy to open Internet Explorer. A buddy of mine said it was really good, but then again, he isn't the smartest guy I know.
Old March 2, 2009, 07:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I was considering doing this too as I have MSDNAA access but never got around to it.

Vista works fine IMO, don't know why people complain about it so much. If you have a decent PC and disable UAC and what not, it runs fine. And well I like the Areo GUI, not a fan of classic like most of you are.

Windows 7, for me, runs the same as Vista. Just has a new interface and perhaps slightly less RAM usage. Overall though it performs no differently in daily tasks than Vista. However again, I quite like the Win7 GUI and find it's much easier to use.
Old March 2, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Linus posted this on his blog. Did you find out about it there? I wanna give this a shot when I get my new motherboard CPU and ram.
Old March 2, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Win 7 uses huge amounts of ram and I have ran win7 and vista also 2008 which is basically an unbloated Vista and after all of those I went back to Win XP x64 as my main OS and all of my Linux distros as things to play around with
Old March 2, 2009, 01:32 PM
Allstar

Looks interesting. I'm pretty happy with XP64 but think i may just give this a try.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old March 2, 2009, 02:14 PM

I'm really happy with Server 2008

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old March 3, 2009, 08:00 AM
Rookie

I run windows Server 2003 DataCenter Edition, and Vista Ultimate 64, on my main PC's, Windows 7 Beta 7022 runs great on a AMD 2400 Semptron with 512Mbs, I was super impressed..

I have Windows Server 2008 Web Edition, but i dont use it much just sitting on a spare Blade Server for now.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:15 AM
Allstar

Would anyone have a spare licence for this :) I have the msdn version of Server 2008 Enterprise 64bit Beta so I don't know if that will work with any other version of if I'm stuck with the beta.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N