Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2009, 08:13 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Angry Vista Services issue?

This one has stomped me big time.

Started last night, on my main rig. Since I installed a wc loop on a client's computer, I wanted to know how noisy it was. Since my main rig and my folding rig are next to my worktable, I shut them down.

1 hour later, I restart both. The folding rig starts with no problems. My main rig though... All services are stopped. And I mean all of them. Tried to restart a few, but to no avail and no error message too.

No Windows Updated were performed yesterday - last one was feb. 12th. OC is damn stable.

Only solution is to use System Restore to Friday's image, but now every action is sooo slowww... Google gave me a few hits, but why the hell would I need to play with the Registry when I have made no changes lately?

Old February 22, 2009, 09:13 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

What are the chances of a virus? I have been looking around the webs and this has been a suggestion, but is probably unlikely.

I wonder if there is a service that is required for all the others to load. If that service is not started first, then it would mess up any dependent services too. Finding that service(s) and setting it to automatically load might help. This site: Windows Vista Services List lists many services, and gives some points on what happens if that service is stopped. Also saw on a few forums where people used the command prompt to run the System File Checker (type "sfc /scannow" at the command prompt, as administrator) to fix critical system files, including services that caused dependency issues as well.

If you decide to go the sfc route, here is the MS help file on the issue: Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop responding

Might not fix the issue but may point you to a corrupted file that may be causing it.
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; February 22, 2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old February 23, 2009, 05:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the link for the SFC option - that's one thing I did not find in my Google research. More tonight.
Old February 23, 2009, 05:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

not sure but did you install any new software before you turned it of . i only ask cause i had some thing just like it after i installed the crap software for the wife bb bold on 1 of the house machines. after reboot non of vista services would start for up to almost an hour after boot. removed the software bada boom fixed hope this helps (but doubt it) you might have thought of this all ready
Old February 23, 2009, 08:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The only software that was installed was Super Anti-spyware, last friday. I'll un-install it and we'll see. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old February 23, 2009, 03:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Just found a better site with Vista services info than the one I listed last night:
http://www.speedyvista.com/services.php

Lists all the default services, and also lists the ones that are dependent on the service. For example there two services: DCOM Server Process Launcher: Windows Vista Service Details and Remote Procedure Call (RPC): Windows Vista Service Details are pretty much required for all others...so if they don't launch none of them will. Not sure if there are others like this, but the consequences of turning them off sound like the issue you are having (not counting WHY the service was stopped in the first place)
Fold for team #54196
Old February 23, 2009, 04:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Chris for the research. Since I uninstalled SuperAntispyware last night, I rebooted the rig 4 times, and the services are back on track. If it ever happens again, I know I'll have a few solutions to try.
Old February 23, 2009, 05:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Good to see you are up again and you know what happened. I learned some stuff about a few services so it was a great exercise.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 24, 2009, 04:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, it happened again. It BSOD'ed (!) while Folding... started it back up, no services this morning. So I'll dig deeper tonight...

[sigh]
Old February 24, 2009, 05:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that sucks man sorry if i think of anything