Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2009, 04:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Question Media Player Classic crashing (all versions)

I have weird problem. In one of my older recapped computers (JetWay V266B Jetway V266B with GSC caps - CapsMod Your Motherboard - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz! ) I having weird problems with Media Player Classic. It keep crashing on start, even when I deleted the *.ini file with prefs. Even different versions, including the latest. Version 6.4.7.5 (Unicode) - because of the bink support:

Or the version 6.4.9.0:

I tried recently even the latest betaversion with the very same result...

The machine using AXP 2800+ Barton CPU, it is 100% Prime CPU/RAM/PWM tested stable and does not crash at all. Not even overclocked much higher that I run it day by day.
Using Windows 2000 SP4 Czech with FFDshow installed (ffdshow_20071119.exe) and also with WMF9_dist.exe installed.

Tried regsvr32 quartz.dll to make GSpot happy to did not complain, tough no change with the Media Player Classic problem. Using BSplayer w/o troubles - except for mpeg1 video, but that it likely not related problem.
SSE enabled in the BIOS on the AXP CPU. No idea what went FUBAR. Any suggestions where to look?
Old February 26, 2009, 09:00 PM
Top Prospect

Cool

Well I don't really know what to do to fix your problem, but you could switch to VLC Player and see if that works for you. Its what I use

VLC media player - Overview
Old February 27, 2009, 05:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Yea, VLC Player works just fine. So do BSplayer witch I use most... The question is, why Media Player Classic crash on perfectly stable machine, tough :)
It probably have to do something with DirectX and my obsolete Detonator drivers for 5600XT ... but not sure.
Old February 27, 2009, 06:53 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Media player classic is probably using different codecs than VLC.
Old February 27, 2009, 01:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I believe that VLC have internal codecs, while MPC and BSplayer and Mplayer in Win use DirectShow filter codecs...