Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2009, 06:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I can't personally stand any of those WYSIWYG editors.

I feel they butcher code up so well and that you really don't learn anything.

I'm old fashioned and believe in writing websites in raw html.
I find Dreamweaver CS3 and CS4 do a fine job.

However I do most of mine by hand, but using the code view in Dreamweaver since it can auto-complete for me But for tables, should I have to absolutely use them, Dreamweaver makes life easier than me having to type it out.

I think the only free Web Authoring program that's semi-decent is: Nvu Web Authoring Software
Old February 15, 2009, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I find Dreamweaver CS3 and CS4 do a fine job.

However I do most of mine by hand, but using the code view in Dreamweaver since it can auto-complete for me But for tables, should I have to absolutely use them, Dreamweaver makes life easier than me having to type it out.

I think the only free Web Authoring program that's semi-decent is: Nvu Web Authoring Software
Have you looked at the raw code done by Dreamweaver?

Last time I did I wasn't impressed at all.
Old February 15, 2009, 09:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Yeah I have, it's alright. Maybe you were using an older version?
Old February 15, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

Ya it used to suck. But not anymore.

1. I code most of it myself but DW is helpful when you want it too be. Especially with auto complete (love it) and colour coded syntax.
2. The code it writes is WAY better than it used to be. In fact it's pretty solid now.
3. Notepad... is great if you want to look at line after line of the same black code which makes troubleshooting a HUGE PITA. :P

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 16, 2009, 01:13 PM
Allstar

I use a text editor (emacs) for content creation and coding and Textpattern to manage the content on my site. I stay away from Flash for anything but presentation type content as it is a PITA and has accessibility issues. For the same reason I keep javascript to a minimum.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Ya it used to suck. But not anymore.

1. I code most of it myself but DW is helpful when you want it too be. Especially with auto complete (love it) and colour coded syntax.
2. The code it writes is WAY better than it used to be. In fact it's pretty solid now.
3. Notepad... is great if you want to look at line after line of the same black code which makes troubleshooting a HUGE PITA. :P
Totally agree. It used to suck, and Homesite filled the void back then. Dreamweaver's code view is much more intuitive these days.
Old February 16, 2009, 09:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I feel they butcher code up so well and that you really don't learn anything.

I'm old fashioned and believe in writing websites in raw html.
Partly, I share that logic, as well. But, there are a functional shortcomings to coding it by hand, not the least of which is that you can't produce drafts or design proposals to your supervisor very quickly or effectively. Other weaknesses in the old school practice include maintainability-- you can't just pass off the raw code to the IT replacing your job and have him absorb your work, line-by-line-- and you code completely on a whim, without a live representation of what you are producing or whether your envisioned project is working out at all. The preferred practice is to use a GUI-driven application from start to finish or simply as a staging platform to produce and test prototypes before committing to the project by hand if you don't fancy the program's method. Pace is a factor in a real business environment, mate.
Old February 16, 2009, 10:13 PM
MVP
F@H

Wow thanks for all the info guys, didn't realize I'd start up this professional of a discussion.

Its a very small company and the website is going to be a one-shot thing, just a glorified banner ad, really. They don't even really need a website as all the business is via government contracts, its more just a place to store the photos and because the world expects businesses to have a website.

I think I'll start with homesite as I'm already familiar with it, doesn't cost a mint, and doesn't make me feel like my site should be more than it is (lol)

Thanks again
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870