Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2009, 08:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default MPEG-2 conversion

I decided to change around my capture card's input, and recorded some video (A halo 3 match to be specific) and recording using MPEG-2 encoding instead of what I usually use (AVI). The reason being because my CC program limits AVI recording to 320 by 240 (or something to that effect), whereas the MPEG-2 option let me go 640 by 480.

Now, the raw video is fine, it plays ok in windows media player and whatnot--but for some reason Windows Movie Maker and Windows Media Encoder 9 both flunk out when trying to re-encode the video.

My question is, do you know of any free software that can re-encode my aforementioned file into a WMV or AVI? or even a fix for the two mentioned programs i've tried?
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old February 14, 2009, 01:51 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

What's wrong with the MPEG-2 encoded video ? And AVI isn't a codec by itself, it's a container format. Do you know which video codec your CC use when it's creating .avi files ?

As for the free options to transcode video and audio on Windows, there's MediaCoder, but the last time I used it, I found it wasn't really user-friendly, to say the least (too many options). There's also ffmpeg, but I don't know how well it is supported on Windows, and again, it can be a bit hard to use if you don't know exactly what you want.

MediaCoder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
FFmpeg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old February 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

the raw file is a high quality MPEG, encoded using MPEG-2. I want to re-encode it to reduce it's filesize as well as turn it into a wmv or avi file.

the raw AVI that i can alternatively capture with my CC doesn't matter--the video is already on my computer...

i'll check those links when i get a sec.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old February 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

If you want the best quality for the smallest size, you should try to transcode your video with a (quality) H.264 (MPEG-4 Layer 10) codec. The problem with this is that H.264 encoded video are not natively supported by all platform, i.e. you need to download a codec or a "special" software (like quicktime, VLC, etc) to be able to see something.

And apparently, you can fit an H.264 encoded video stream in a AVI container format, even if it's not the best choice.

Old February 14, 2009, 06:54 PM

My System Specs

Handbrake. Multi-threaded and easy to use.
Old February 14, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i haven't play with converts for a long time. If i remember correctly you can recreate the file to AVI using virtual dub mod. And its a freeware that works