Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2009, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Anti-Virus - Do you run one? Which?

I've been running without an anti-virus or anti-spyware for well over a year. I've never been aware of having a virus, but of course I wouldn't know.

So I've decided to try out the AVG free version for a while along with Spybot S&D and see if, with my regular usage habits, I actually get any action. If not, then I'll just uninstall them again.

What do you run?
Old February 12, 2009, 06:16 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I run NOD 32 v3, Super Anti-Spyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Great combination. Low system usage, great coverage. Though I use FF and Thunderbird and that makes a bif dif too. :)

Unfortunately, Spybot S & D and Ad-aware are no longer what they used to be and in all honesty miss more than they catch. Both SAS and malwarebytes have free versions...give em a try. You won't be disappointed.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 12, 2009, 07:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll do that, then.

As I said, I'm going to give it some time (maybe until my next format and reinstall of Windows) and if nothing happens, they're gone. I use FF but I don't use a mail program because I'm on Rogers and I have to use their SMTP which I don't know since this is a shared connection.

Is Thunderbird more stable now? Maybe I'll go to the trouble to get set up.

So you think NOD over AVG? I've heard very good things about both. I like the fact that AVG seems to be very unobtrusive.
Old February 12, 2009, 07:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

i also dont run any antiviruses or anti spyware, only windows firewall and my router
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old February 12, 2009, 08:31 AM

AVG 7 was very good. AVG 8 is a pig. I run it on a laptop and while it CAN be customized to run using low resources its still a pig in comparison...and it gives WAY to many false positives. Either nod 32 (great heuristics w/ low foot print) or Kaspersky (bigger foot print, arguably better protection) is the way to go. THOUGH, an anti-virus only program is becoming less and less useful. As most virogens are making their money on malware. This is why I dropped from 2 AVs to 1 BUT doubled up on my anti-malware. Malwarebytes is extremely low foot print and SAS is almost as good that way. Together they are an amazing one two punch to have active on your system. (To get SAS pro w/ lifetime uprgades, DL the trial version and uninstall it. IT will usually open a page with a "one day only" offer of 19.99 US for it).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 12, 2009, 08:48 AM

Same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
i also dont run any antiviruses or anti spyware, only windows firewall and my router
Old February 12, 2009, 08:59 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

AVG 8 sucks ass. Update servers fail half the time. Doesn't clean what it detects worth shit. Give you false positives that you can't ignore, thus blocking use of that file.
Old February 12, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
AVG 8 sucks ass. Update servers fail half the time. Doesn't clean what it detects worth shit. Give you false positives that you can't ignore, thus blocking use of that file.
Ugh...I guess I'm getting rid of it as soon as I get home tonight then.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I use Avira and Kaspersky.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:58 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Ran AVG 7 without trouble for a long time, put 100's of my clients on it too. Now they are all complaining about 8, grrrrr.