Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2010, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

I've been using Bit Defender 2009 and was thinking of putting the faster 2010 version (uses 30% less resources). On my new machine (sig) as well as my old one (this one).

Has anyone had any experience with Bit Defender?

AntiVirus Software Review 2010 - TopTenREVIEWS

Jim
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - Intel i7 860 - Zalman CNPS 10X Quiet - 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 CL7-7-7-21 1.5V - Intel 520 Series 240 GB SSD - WD Caviar Black 1Tb - Corsair TX750W - Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 Gb GDDR5 - DVD Drives X2 LG GH24LS50 - Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced - Win 7 Pro 64
Old February 11, 2010, 04:07 PM
Top Prospect

I use AVG on shared computers, if it's just me using a computer I generally don't use anything and run untrusted software in virtual machines.

I have a love hate relationship with AVG. On one hand it's free, and for the longest time you could just download it and forget about it. Lately they've been trying to obscure the free version as the last option behind trials, using special AVG download tools, installing toolbars, and let me tell you, I freaking hate browser toolbars, they're the biggest waste of space ever. When it next hassles me to update to the next latest and greatest version I'll kick it's ass to the curb on the shared computer and give something else a try.

If I were going to pay for antivirus software I'd pay for Kaspersky, it's consistently in the top ten choice of reviewers, and dem russians are pretty good programmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
I've been running without an anti-virus or anti-spyware for well over a year. I've never been aware of having a virus, but of course I wouldn't know.

So I've decided to try out the AVG free version for a while along with Spybot S&D and see if, with my regular usage habits, I actually get any action. If not, then I'll just uninstall them again.

What do you run?
Old February 14, 2010, 07:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
I've been using Bit Defender 2009 and was thinking of putting the faster 2010 version (uses 30% less resources). On my new machine (sig) as well as my old one (this one).

Has anyone had any experience with Bit Defender?

AntiVirus Software Review 2010 - TopTenREVIEWS

Jim
I just remember getting the demo of BD 2009 and seeing the browser and / or e-mail (can't remember which) plugin crash repeatedly. Maybe they made the program more stable now, but BD is near the bottom of my list of AV because of this. I run NOD32 on my desktop, Microsoft Security Essentials on my laptop , and Norton Internet Security 2009 on the other desktops in my house.

At the very bottom is the Rogers anti-virus for bogging down my parents' Phenom 2.2 GHz machine with 2 processes using almost 100% CPU usage and a combined total of 2+ GB of memory while scanning archive files. Not to mention tacking on another ~10 seconds to system startup time (HDD is a Seagate 7200.10)
Old February 14, 2010, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

I use avira for my anti-virus needs. It has had 2 false positives on the dragon age execute, and has that silly popup (at least on the free version), but it does the job for me.
Old February 14, 2010, 07:39 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If you have access to Local Security Policy in your OS, it is easy to create a New Path Rule and disable avnotify, located in the Avira folder.
Old February 14, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Avast has been fantastic to me for the past couple years. It runs on minimum resources, almost no false finds, updates are regular and never go wrong, catches most everything, completely free... can't really say anything bad about it. Top that off with the slick new interface they just released in the latest versions... I don't see myself switching anytime soon.

*Note* the only thing it doesn't have in the free version is a live surfing monitor. But running Spybot solves that if you're concerned about it. Honestly though, my browsing never takes me places that give me reason to worry, so I don't run anything of the sort. And If you like all your products in one, you do have the option of buying an upgraded license for Avast that runs a sandbox live monitor.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
i also dont run any antiviruses or anti spyware, only windows firewall and my router
Same except for i dont run windows firewall either. Haven't ever run into any viruses or spyware and the odd occasion i've ran into something small, hijackthis has helped me nuke it.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:52 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I used to use Avira, and since I wiped my PCs and installed Windows 7, I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials instead. I have Windows Firewall disabled because it's a nuisance, but I'm behind my router's firewall.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:55 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've read good reviews about MSE; can you confirm that at installation it overrides the Windows Updates setting and changes it to Install Updates Automatically?
Old February 14, 2010, 09:00 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I've read good reviews about MSE; can you confirm that at installation it overrides the Windows Updates setting and changes it to Install Updates Automatically?
It's been two months since I installed it, so I honestly can't remember. Pretty trivial to change it back though, if that does happen.