Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2010, 05:26 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Then you are not talking about OS limitations but hardware virtualization... which makes little sense. You could easily run about any OS in vmware, virtualbox or any type 2 hypervisors for virt and have the some kind of 'sandbox'. I wouldn't see why *nix wouldn't be able to DL crap you want without your main OS suffering the aftermath. With freebsd if you have the knowledge and about 2 minutes of your time you could have a jail (as in freebsd jail not chroot jails) up and be 'safer'.
Sorry dude, but a walled garden is a walled garden. Just because you think running it inside *nix is "safer" dont make it so in reality. What I was saying (while poking fun at you) was that peeps don't have to go the Linux route and lose software compatibility to be safe.

Linuix is getting there, but its still far from being perfect for most avg joes. Also Linux is more secure right now because it is not worth Criminal hackers / malware authors/etc time to look and write exploits for *nix. IF any *Nix variation had 85% market share you can be sure there would be exploits for it. In other words it may be a beefier base...but its main security is "security through obscurity".

Hell even easier is Sandboxie! I can easily surf the intrawebz using IE6 on XP w/ out getting any crap by simply using that free little program that is easy and safe. makes a walled garden on the fly around any application. No hassle, no fuss no muss... And when I'm done I can then open a word attachment, edit a photo in photoshop or do any of the million other tasks that really do require Windows. And NO, open source "equivalents" are far, FAR from equivalent. Linux apps are great in some ways, I like Firefox and thunderbird, but many are still not ready for prime time.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; February 18, 2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:18 PM
Top Prospect

Router firewall only. Now and again I'll run a trendmicro housecall or something to see if there's any shyte on there.

Usually finds some little crap, (they always seem to no matter what you do) nothing major.
Powercolor 5870
Velociraptor 150
Seagate LP 2TB
Corsair AX750
Silverstone FT01B-W (HWC review case)

HEATWARE 45-0-0

My Cannondale <3
Old February 18, 2010, 10:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I was using AVG before it went to crap. Now I just use Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Ad Aware but I'm going give Super Anti-Spyware a try.
I've never had a virus but I know people that still get them constantly , not sure what the hell there doing exactly.

Old February 21, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Using Shaw Secure. The newer version uses about half the processes of the old version so it's lighter on the system. Shaw Secure = F secure. I used to use Kaspersky, which was fantastic, but I was using the "free" version so I couldn't update and get latest definitions. I've only had an issue with shaw secure not allowing me to open Daemon Tools, but I just had to add a rule and also had a problem with it allowing me to connect to Bnet on Starcraft, so I just have to unload it before I play. But if you don;t play Starcraft 1 you're all good ;) Oh and I use Malware Bytes on occassion as well.
Old February 21, 2010, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Using Shaw Secure. The newer version uses about half the processes of the old version so it's lighter on the system. Shaw Secure = F secure. I used to use Kaspersky, which was fantastic, but I was using the "free" version so I couldn't update and get latest definitions. I've only had an issue with shaw secure not allowing me to open Daemon Tools, but I just had to add a rule and also had a problem with it allowing me to connect to Bnet on Starcraft, so I just have to unload it before I play. But if you don;t play Starcraft 1 you're all good ;) Oh and I use Malware Bytes on occassion as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
I've never had a virus but I know people that still get them constantly , not sure what the hell there doing exactly.
Oh and.... Pr0n
Old February 21, 2010, 05:55 PM
MVP

Back in 2000 I used Norton Enterprise Edition. The pharmaceutical corp I used to be a Network Admin for used it, so I figured it was good :P I was young an dumb :P Then I switched to AVG. Now I use Avira Premium and haven't looked back. I've never had a virus on my system since using Avira *knock on wood*

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old February 21, 2010, 06:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Dont use anything on any of the 6 pcs here, kids included in that number and our systems dont get anything on them ever really. What I dont get is those who get nailed with malware non stop, I troll through the worst crap you can imagine hunting for software and 99% of the time never get any problems.
Old February 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use the free Avast, never had a problem, due to not being lacking of common sense. AKA I don't click on shady links for free naked peoples and then download "Windows Antivirus 2010 Awesome Edition".
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old February 22, 2010, 01:06 PM
Top Prospect

I hear bit defender is good on the reviews ive read.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my laptop and the free Avast on my desktop. I still got AVG on my other desktop because I'm lazy, but I haven't really liked AVG since version 8 came out.