Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2010, 07:45 PM
Allstar

Attached Images

Old February 17, 2010, 07:55 AM
Allstar

I have to say that MSE is surprisingly good. I mean really good. Of course who knows how long it will stay that way remains to be seen. It detects and cleans more than AVG in my experience. Infinitely better than Symantec Endpoint. I've been switching some clients from Symantec over to MSE, most notably the ones who are prone to getting viruses. Definitely should be at the top of the list when considering free AV solutions.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 17, 2010, 10:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I've run NOD 32 and Kaspersky in the past (as well as a bunch of others), but for a while now I've really liked Avast!. Their new version 5.0 (iirc) has simply improved on what was already awesome.
-Deadpool
Old February 17, 2010, 08:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
MSE is decent kit. Not great kit by any stretch BUT when you add in the full version of malwaybytes, its a decent one two punch. I prefer avira & avast on the free end, and nod32 on the pay end. BUT it does have a much lower false positive rate than Avira. YMMV

As for "FreeBSD".....pfft. Run a sandboxed OS and run sandboxie inside that OS. You can smurf to your hearts contnent and DL anything you feel like with very little recourse (take about 20seconds to restore from image via VMWARE) AND you can still run all you windows programs. Try THAT with Linux or a Unix distro. :)~

Not dissing Linux/Unix as its great for certain things but don't think that because you run Linux/Unix you are safe from malware. Thats the mistake Apple peeps make and it will bite them in the arse one of these days.

YMMV
Then you are not talking about OS limitations but hardware virtualization... which makes little sense. You could easily run about any OS in vmware, virtualbox or any type 2 hypervisors for virt and have the some kind of 'sandbox'. I wouldn't see why *nix wouldn't be able to DL crap you want without your main OS suffering the aftermath. With freebsd if you have the knowledge and about 2 minutes of your time you could have a jail (as in freebsd jail not chroot jails) up and be 'safer'.
Old February 17, 2010, 08:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The vast majority of viruses and malware end up on Windows PCs due to user error, not flaws in the OS. You can't patch out stupidity.
I must agree on that... except in the good old 'swiss cheese' windows 9x days
Old February 17, 2010, 08:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Don't make me slap you again.

There are VERY few exploits for people to take advantage of in order to "root" a Windows box. Every single "virus" I've seen these days are simple scams, much like you'll find on craigslist or what have you. I don't run AV and have NEVER had anything "take over" and "root" my machine.

Yes, those people who fall for Nigerian mail scams also own computers.

Yes, it's Microsoft's fault they get viruses.

Yes it's Microsoft's fault they didn't get their 30% share in the $235,802,270 they were promised by the Prince of Nigeria.

Actually I'm just kidding. These people just don't "get it" and after many failures in life end up failing again by spending way too much on a (***) and then act superior to you because they have (***) and you don't. They still never learned anything.

Btw, (***) can be a lot of things. Mac, Harleys, Monster cables, etc

+1 for logical thinking!

Then I challenge you to 'browse' the Internetz (notice the 'z') for a few hours without any AV and a retarded browser (you know which I mean I'm sure) and see how your computer is not infected with anything after

I know that they are just mostly scams, but if you are willing too (even if that would bias the first test), why not click on those lil "get $something in 4 weeks!" and click without installing anything of course on the lil free cursors and crap just to see how your Windows machine will run after...
Old February 17, 2010, 08:26 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I must agree on that... except in the good old 'swiss cheese' windows 9x days
Back in those days Linux had a barely functional UI and Mac OS would kernel panic every 5 minutes, so it's not like you could do any better than Windows even then...
Old February 17, 2010, 09:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Bien sur... ;)
Old February 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Then I challenge you to 'browse' the Internetz (notice the 'z') for a few hours without any AV and a retarded browser (you know which I mean I'm sure) and see how your computer is not infected with anything after

I know that they are just mostly scams, but if you are willing too (even if that would bias the first test), why not click on those lil "get $something in 4 weeks!" and click without installing anything of course on the lil free cursors and crap just to see how your Windows machine will run after...
I use IE and no AV.

I do use an online AV like Kaspersky once in a while "just to make sure" and appease my healthy paranoia. My safety online has everything to do with what I DONT do, rather than what AV I run.

As people find out no matter what AV you use if you're clicking and running everything under the sun you're dead meat, unless you're using an OS that does not run windows executables.

As it stands now between the browser safeties, certificates, UAC and whatever else you find there are 3 or 4 blatant and often annoying warnings telling people that what they are about to do is going to royally **** their computer and that they'd better know what the hell they are doing if they continue. Does it really help?

Nah.

The people who install by 'double click -> Next -> Next -> Next -> Next -> Next -> Finish' like they are racing for their lives are the same people who willingly bypass all the help MS has given them in order to install the latest trojan/virus/script/whatever.

All OSes are getting better, people are just as stupid as they have always been.
Old February 18, 2010, 12:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I agree with most of that (except IE part but that's more personal choice than anything else), especially the last line. It's sad but true and it's one of the reason I changed career path a few times just to get far as possible of these people while staying in a computer related field.

I even charge family and friends a (overpriced) 50$/h just to avoid having to hear their problems and have to care about them (I didn't have a 'repair' job in about 8 months and I'm glad with that hehe)