Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2009, 10:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Why not just buy it?

I had to, outlook is just too comfortable, and when you're forced to use it at work, it's frustrating to have to "change modes" to use different software for the same tasks when you get home. I'm sure this same thing ensures alot of other people do the same...
Depends on the situation I suppose.... It's not a bad deal if you can get the 3 licence student edition for under $150 split 3 ways, but I can't see wanting to pay full price for it unless I could write it off as a business expense.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 9, 2009, 10:49 AM
Banned
F@H

I bought it on boxingday a while ago, maybe, for like $99, i think, and it(regular retail) can be installed on 3 machines simultaneously, for a cost of $33 a machine? That's not bad, IMHO, and pretty cheap when it comes to other productivity softwares.

Microsoft also hosts a redistributable package(of course, for deployment) that also works with the retail keys, so you don't even need an install disk. @ 298MB, easy enough to toss onto a usb key and toss in a drawer...I'm actually pretty happy with Office as a whole.

Last edited by cadaveca; February 9, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old February 9, 2009, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
AFAIC, OpenOffice is the way to go for the average home user who doesn't have access to a legal version of Office through a workplace/employee license. It does pretty well everything a person needs for personal use, and is able to open/save in MS Office format.

Why take a chance with a pirated version of office which won't get security updates when there's a fully functional free alternative?

As a casual user, the only issue I've ever had with OpenOffice was trying to port over presentation slides into powerpoint. Formatting of text in PP slides doesn't work well because the fonts aren't MS standard.
Agreed. I put Openoffice on ALL of my builds and customers LOVE it.
Old February 9, 2009, 12:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well if the OP is enrolled in college/university, you could take advantage of this:
Microsoft Office for Students - The Ultimate Steal

Can't go wrong for $64 IMO.
Old February 9, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What versions are you referring to? I use office 2007 at work and do a ton of presentations created in 2007 PPT on office XP and 2003 machines and it works fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
The one con about the new office is that the file format is NOT compatible with older versions of office, so you need to be sure to save in the older format(which is not the default).
Old February 9, 2009, 01:37 PM
Banned
F@H

I have both office home and student, and pro, it's not me that has the issues, but those still in 2000/2003 that recieve my documents. Becuase that setting is a professional setting, even things like language packs are missing on some machines, so what even causes the issue is unknown to me...except some specific users cannot open the files, or the files are corrupted when they try to open them.

Generally, I have to save in "Word 97-2003 format", whatever that is, and I have no issues...maybe beucase they have Microsfot Works instead of Oriffice..I dunno...
Old February 9, 2009, 01:55 PM

I guess there is a compatibility pack add on in earlier versions so .docx, pptx and so on from 07 will work. It is probably part of an automatic update but Im not sure on that part. All I know is Ive never had a problem opening .pptx thus far.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know that at my work it is not our choice which version we install on each different prof/grad student/research assistant machine, it is up to them. We try to push them towards 2007 but lots of them just do not want to learn anything new so they ask for 2003. So because of this we get lots of people sharing files between 03 and 07 and we don't run into issues.

As for saving you can easily set 2007 to use the older format as its default format then you don't have to think about how you are saving the files. Plus that helps if you have access database files that autosave. I found setting that easier than explaining how they have to save a certain way to read it in office 2003 without downloading the compatibility pack.

I personally have been using 2007 since beta so I am rather used to it and prefer it over 2003.

Old February 10, 2009, 09:05 AM

I like 2007 better now as well but it took me a looong time to say this. I was a beta user as well.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Big fan of 2007 her as well. It is a huge improvement over 2003, especially when it comes to setting formatting standards, for all my university papers. It did take some getting use too though.