Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2009, 12:30 PM
Top Prospect

Default Add-ons and Utilities - any benefit??

I have just gone through a painfull four days of computer problems - Internet Explorer not running ok, shutdown woes, etc. Eventually, I had to do a Windows restore, and found that a Utility (which I paid for) - Registry Checking utility, was the cause of my woes.

I would like to have member's opinions or comments, on the use,benefit, or appropriateness, of utilities and add-ons, that are not part of the Operating Systems. From Disk Cleaners, Defragmenters, Windows Cleaners, Registry Cleaners, the list goes on. Which of these do you have and how are you using them ? Are you using the utilities packed with windows ?

Please let us know your Operating System when replying.
Thanks.

Last edited by Malam; January 23, 2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old January 23, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

CCleaner
JK Defrag

Both free, both solid.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 23, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CCleaner
defraggler

Never had any probs with them.
Old January 23, 2009, 02:09 PM
Allstar

Another vote for CCleaner. I run both the Cleaner and Registry without problems.
I also use Raxco Perfect disk as it does offline files. It really does make a difference when it come to booting.
The other program I swear by is WinPatrol. It's a free program that monitors anything that gets installed and wants to have something startup when windows starts or even services but in real time. Sorta like a msconfig on steroids.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 23, 2009, 02:31 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The very first thing I do w/ a new system is load the following programs onto them:
CCleaner
HijackThis
PerfectDisk
SuperAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Cactus Spam Filter
AVG Anti-spyware (or AVG 8 w/ custom no crap added install)
Nod32 Anti-virus
FireFox & Opera (may add Chrome to the list IF they get adblocker)
Adblocker Plus for FF
Forecast Fox for FF
IE Tab for FF
IE View for FF
Download Helper for FF
FlashBlock for FF
BugMeNot and RetailMeNot for FF
Thunderbird email
WinRAR
WinZip
MozBackup
Sybot S&D
Ad-aware SE
TuneUp Utilities 2008 (or 2009 now)
ImgBurn
UberOptions (if using a Logitech mouse)
mIRC
Speedfan
RealTemp
CoreTemp
Your Uninstaller! 2008

and a bunch of others I can't remember right now. MOST of those above (except the obvious ones) are freeware w/ PRO upgrades available for $$. Most things which come w/ MS OS's blow in comparison to their freeware alternatives.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 23, 2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old January 23, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh I forgot Autoruns. It's a great little app for easily managing startup items.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 23, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

most of my system tools are portable because the take less room and also I don't have to worry about the programs getting infected or what ever.

download an older version of ad-aware se and update the definitions at there blog website here Lavasoft Research Blog - Lavasoft don't use the newer ad-aware program because it is way to bloated

I wouldn't recommend Spybot S&D it used to be good but lately it is just a pain in the Butt can cause allot of problems if you are not into paying close attention to what you are doing.

cc cleaner is a excellent program it does allot including reg cleaning it is safe and it is totally free

for defragging I use either the Wintig WinContig
or jkDefrag . both are free

if you are thinking that you might have malware or something like that use hijackthis and then copy/paste the output to this website HijackThis Logfileauswertung and you will get a good idea of what is what

as for web browsers I don't use IE just because it constantly contacts Microsoft. I use SRW Iron ( portable version) which is allot like Chrome but allot more secure
and for email client I use Koma mail it is allot like outlook but faster and has allot of features plus it is portable and free.
messengers I use amsn
media players there is only one and that is VLC its free and I can play anything with it. I jhave never had to download any codecs for me it is perfect.
Old January 23, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I agree on the Adaware, new version is bloatware at best but the old SE is still a decent program. I disagree w/ Spybot. It may no longer be the fastest or the best but its still a good 2nd or 3rd opinion. IMHO Malwarbytes + S.A.S. is the best 1-2 punch for malware out there right now and usually doesn't need anything else but w/ Spybot I still have a soft spot for it.

Oh and add Spywareblaster to the list. Good passive free "imunization" proggey.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 23, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

if you use IE6 or IE7 then you should check IE7Pro - The Ultimate Add-On for Internet Explorer
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.