Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Vista 64 Bit - Microsoft Office 2000 Another Query

Hey guys, I'm getting pretty close to getting my I7 stuff.....just the True, then complete re-build and installation of Vista 64 Bit .....Yeah well whats the point of running Tri Channel 6GB Memory on XP 32 Bit...
Anyhoo, I believe I queried this before, but I will one more time, here's the skinny, I have the Microsoft Office '97 of which I apply my 2000 Upgrade to, in that order. Now, I have been told b y a few folks in my town here that Vista 64 Bit will likley not play well with my 97 installation and 2000 update.
All of my email is done through Outlook 2000, it has never been an issue in the past to create an Outlook.PST Back-up file and simply instsall it...poof..all my email, folders, sub-folders and Contacts are thier, but if I have major issues...I'm not sure what I can do.
Firstly....you guys think this will be a problem...as in Office 97 - 2000 upgrade installing onto Vista 64 Bit?
Secondly, I do have teenage kids with Laptops n Vista n Office Student, but no Outlook. Barring actually spending $135 on Outlook 2007, would thier be some way to get my Outlook.pst folder or backed up Contacts into some other email Program? I take it that I will not be able to back-up my emails n folders with out Outlook, but if I can at least get my Contacts onto some Vist Windows Program that would be better than nothing.
I am contemplating purchasing Outlook 2007 and installing Office Student package, but...looking for other options.

thanks guys

Old January 20, 2009, 11:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Any of your kids in collage? If so, get one of them to buy you Office Ultimate for $64 direct from Microsoft.

Microsoft Office for Students - The Ultimate Steal.
Old January 20, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if this will help you RjBarker, but it might be worth a look.

I'll update my OP with more links so check back. We'll figure something out there and I think you can fully agree with me when I say "you've spent enough already"

Below has me a little worried that Office2000 is not compatible with vista64 and likely you'll be required to upgrade.

Windows Vista Compatibility Microsoft Microsoft Office 2000 Premium

Outlook 2000 on Vista Scott’s Blog

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Any of your kids in collage? If so, get one of them to buy you Office Ultimate for $64 direct from Microsoft.
Chilly...both my kids are in Grade 12 and 1st year University, but they already have Office Student (no Outlook)...can't believe Microsoft was too cheap to include Outlook in their package! Anyhow, I did go into my Outlook 2000 and tried cbacking up my Contacts using Export comma Windows, saves as a CVS file and can open with Excel.....
I do have another PC here in the house with Outlook....could send an email to myself and cc it to everyone...then download my email with my new "generic" whatever the Email Program is that comes with Vista "Outlook Express???" and I would then have all my Contacts...just no email with folders n sub-folders etc etc...those I would really like to have, some important stuff..not life threatening, but important!

Old January 21, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Chilly...both my kids are in Grade 12 and 1st year University, but they already have Office Student (no Outlook)...can't believe Microsoft was too cheap to include Outlook in their package! Anyhow, I did go into my Outlook 2000 and tried cbacking up my Contacts using Export comma Windows, saves as a CVS file and can open with Excel.....
I do have another PC here in the house with Outlook....could send an email to myself and cc it to everyone...then download my email with my new "generic" whatever the Email Program is that comes with Vista "Outlook Express???" and I would then have all my Contacts...just no email with folders n sub-folders etc etc...those I would really like to have, some important stuff..not life threatening, but important!
Hum, I'll look into some things in the morning, if someone doesn't come up with a solution for you by then, I may have one for you. The only thing I'm seeing from a quick search though is that CVS files should be importable by Vista's Windows Mail.

Like I said, I'm a bit tired, actually about to jump into bed at the moment, so I'll take a closer look into it in the morning.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow I just had a look at that link you sent Chilly...$64 for the entire Office Package is a great deal....my daughter is attemding one of the listed institutions Malaspina University in Nanaimo...I'm also going to see if she has a valid University email address.

Thanks guys

And also EE..I did have a look at that Blog...sounds like quite a few "issues"..think he even goes on to say its not worth trying to run !

As said...I can get Word, Excel, Access n Power Point (need for work)...just got to figure out "Outlook"...

Old January 21, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Wow I just had a look at that link you sent Chilly...$64 for the entire Office Package is a great deal....my daughter is attemding one of the listed institutions Malaspina University in Nanaimo...I'm also going to see if she has a valid University email address.

Thanks guys

And also EE..I did have a look at that Blog...sounds like quite a few "issues"..think he even goes on to say its not worth trying to run !

As said...I can get Word, Excel, Access n Power Point (need for work)...just got to figure out "Outlook"...
Outlook 2007 is actually pretty much unchanged, should be really easy to get the hang of using Outlook 2007 if you did decide to go that direction.

Also, you can also get Vista for $70 using that link. Again I'll look into more things for you in the morning. That Office 2007 Ultimate deal is pretty dam good though.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OK thanks Chilly..if the Vista Email Program can Import my .cvs contacts that would be great.

Old January 23, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
so I'll take a closer look into it in the morning.
My work around for this:
Presently installing XP 32 Bit on my 2nd Rig (which resides for my wifes / kids use here in my Office / Home..will simply keep this one 32 Bit XP and install Office 2000 on it...
Thnkas guys

Old January 23, 2009, 06:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
My work around for this:
Presently installing XP 32 Bit on my 2nd Rig (which resides for my wifes / kids use here in my Office / Home..will simply keep this one 32 Bit XP and install Office 2000 on it...
Thnkas guys
Since you have a powerful PC, just run VMware/VirtualPC/VirtualBox with Windows XP on your Vista x64 rig. Then install Office 2000 within that and you're all set.

No need to be switching between computers to check/send email IMO.