Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2009, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
My work around for this:
Presently installing XP 32 Bit on my 2nd Rig (which resides for my wifes / kids use here in my Office / Home..will simply keep this one 32 Bit XP and install Office 2000 on it...
Thnkas guys
I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you, I've out looking for jobs and had a lot on my plate the last few days. If your still interested I'll go do some digging into how to import the csv into Windows Mail, otherwise the "use Virtual PC(free) and install an XP image with office 2000" would also work out really well.

I do apologize for letting you down, I feel bad for letting this slip my mind.
Old January 24, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No worries at Chilly....so far:
1. Still waiting for my 9800 GTX+ GPU, in the meantime, took one of 280's installed in my old 2nd Rig, installed Windows XP 32 Bit and Office (old version) along with my .pst folder, so have that account up n running...all emails contacts etc.
2. Succesfully imported all my Contacts .csv into Vista email Program.
3. Will be installing Student Office (Word Excel etc) 2007 in the next few days.

Now...while I'm on the topic of Vista 64 Bit...been running since yesterday, seems like a very cool OS, very much reminds me of the "splash" that went along with my old Mac. However, I do feel like a deer on the side of the highway staring into the headlights!!!
A couple of annoying things that I would like to resolve, if some Vista 64 Bit guru here could help me out:
1. Lower right corner next to the time - How do I get rid of the "Connected to LAN (Network 2)Icon??" this was simpe in XP, but cannot seem to find a "do not display" option anywhere? EDIT - figured it out.
2. Lower right corner next to time - Icon for "Safely Remove Hardware" nothing plugged into USB at this time, however, it shows both my HD as in C: and F: Drives - again, should this not only pop-up their when I plug in a USB device, as in XP? - Vista Bug??
3. Everytime I open an application I get prompted "User Account yada yada yada", if I disable this, then I have the "Red Shield" Icon lower right corner next to clock.
4. EDIT: Also I loaded Real Temp and when I try to open it (shortcut on my desktop) I get an error message stating" Drivers not loaded, open in "administative mode", which I do by right-clicking and it then opens...wtf???
Normally I don't like to see anything next to that clock, as it generally means it running / loading at Windows start-up. I have gone into msconfig and turned off most items I don't want to load.
I'll likely have a number of questions re: Vista, please be patient with me.

Thanks
B

Last edited by rjbarker; January 24, 2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old January 25, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
No worries at Chilly.
Still, Sorry , Glad to hear you figured out a solution though.

Quote:
2. Lower right corner next to time - Icon for "Safely Remove Hardware" nothing plugged into USB at this time, however, it shows both my HD as in C: and F: Drives - again, should this not only pop-up their when I plug in a USB device, as in XP? - Vista Bug??
I'm trying to re-create this on my system, I'll get back to you on this(for real this time ).

Quote:
3. Everytime I open an application I get prompted "User Account yada yada yada", if I disable this, then I have the "Red Shield" Icon lower right corner next to clock.
Easy to fix, after you've disabled UAC, just follow these steps;

First, open the "Windows Security Centre", you can find this in the Control Panel.

Second, hit the "Change the way Security Centre alerts me", it will bring you to this window.

Third and lastly hit "Don't notify me and don't display the icon(not recommended)" and your golden!

Quote:
4. EDIT: Also I loaded Real Temp and when I try to open it (shortcut on my desktop) I get an error message stating" Drivers not loaded, open in "administative mode", which I do by right-clicking and it then opens...wtf???
Also an easy fix, but its only a workaround.

The reason for this is Vista(smartly, like Linux and Mac OSX) runs everything in the user space, and RealTemp wants to install a temporary driver into the system space, now this requires admin privileges, BUT RealTemp does not need admin privileges so it never asks for them, so even though you have UAC disabled(which allows windows to give out admin access willy nilly), since it never asked for them, it was never given them.

A Catch 22 of sorts, Vista 64bit is much more strict with drivers than even Vista 32bit, let alone XP.

First, right click on Real Temp and then hit Properties

Second, once in Properties, go to the "Compatibility" tab.

Third, check off "Always run as Administrator", and hit OK. Your done, very few programs require forcing of admin privlages with UAC turned off, but there are always a few.

Quote:
Normally I don't like to see anything next to that clock, as it generally means it running / loading at Windows start-up. I have gone into msconfig and turned off most items I don't want to load.
I'll likely have a number of questions re: Vista, please be patient with me.

Thanks
B
I hear yea, I tend to dislike useless icons in my taskbar as well!

Seriously, any questions about Vista, feel free to ask, hopefully I'll be able to answer them! I've been using it as a Main OS since the "Longhorn" days, and yes, I got plenty of flack for it(with some awe, "man that looks dam cool" mixed in) at Lan parties when my PC failed to join the network/some games.
Old January 25, 2009, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Chilly the more I use it, the more I like it. - Thnkas for the tips, just running a Prime95 session right now, so cannot re-start to disable UAC. Appreciate the help.