Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2008, 01:20 PM
MVP

Symantec AV's actually tends to have a very low false-positive rate, and Symantec Corporate is quite fast, none of the bloated GUI or non-AV features of Norton.
Old February 9, 2008, 01:42 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Guess I should put in a vote for AVG, I haven't had any problems, but like so many others say, you have to be careful where you go, my kids are getting older now and are starting to use the internet - stupid webkins...- for school and playing a little, but I'm pretty picky about what is accepatable. no problems with AVG yet...that I know of. ;)
Old February 9, 2008, 04:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

When budget is a problem I recommend Avast, merge the icons and it's unobtrusive.

If you can afford to spend a few beans then bitdefender is a better solution because it incorporates spyware scanning as well.
You can find it for around $30 for 2 year subscription or multiple PC install.
Old February 9, 2008, 05:21 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecher View Post
Guess I should put in a vote for AVG, I haven't had any problems, but like so many others say, you have to be careful where you go, my kids are getting older now and are starting to use the internet - stupid webkins...- for school and playing a little, but I'm pretty picky about what is accepatable. no problems with AVG yet...that I know of. ;)
That's true. If you're careful what sites you visit, you may never get a virus. I recommend AVG.
Old February 9, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using Kaspersky lately and I like the three licenses for 30 bucks for the whole suite- sometimes you can get it for even less. Looking at my running processes, it seems to take up very little resources although I haven't added it up yet.
Old February 20, 2008, 10:27 PM
MVP

AVG is common, but it's not that great for detection rates.

If you want a good free one, i believe the best is BitDefender.
Old February 20, 2008, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
I don't use anything... I'm just very careful about where I go and what I open.

I do a free online scan every once in a while.
I did this for a couple years too. Never had a problem. Funny when I actually had Norton 2001 (IIRC) I got a virus and it was a nasty bugger to eliminate. I gave up on Norton around 2005 when they made me buy a full new suite instead of a cheap subscription fee, and then it proceeded to deactivate itself on a daily basis based on the fact that it thought it had not been activated :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
I've been using Kaspersky lately and I like the three licenses for 30 bucks for the whole suite- sometimes you can get it for even less. Looking at my running processes, it seems to take up very little resources although I haven't added it up yet.
Been using Kaspersky for about a year now and I really like it. Very light footprint on XP and excellent options to get running the way you want it to. Not sure if it's been fixed or not but Kaspersky was very Vista unfriendly... but is probably fixed by now? NOD32 would be my 2nd choice if Kaspersky still does not play nice with Vista. Guess I'll find out soon when my new laptop arrives

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 21, 2008, 02:06 AM
Allstar

Kaspersky works fine on all my Vista and XP machines ... I've also installed Kaspersky on dozens and dozens of computers sold through work and we receive very few complaints about it. The few complaints that we have received were easily fixed (somehow Internet Explorer 7 made it onto Kaspersky's blocked list) ...

To this day, I have yet to see an infected computer come in that's running Kaspersky, which is an excellent sign.
Old February 21, 2008, 05:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had Kaspersky and it was fine, but when the free trial expired I just uninstalled it.

Does Bitdefender have a 64-bit version?
Old February 21, 2008, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Kaspersky works fine on all my Vista and XP machines ... I've also installed Kaspersky on dozens and dozens of computers sold through work and we receive very few complaints about it. The few complaints that we have received were easily fixed (somehow Internet Explorer 7 made it onto Kaspersky's blocked list) ...

To this day, I have yet to see an infected computer come in that's running Kaspersky, which is an excellent sign.
Good news for me. BTW I think the way IE ends up on the blocked list for some people is after some Windows updates, Kaspersky sees that IE has changed and a message pops up notifying you of a "suspicious" action when you go to launch IE because it has changed. If you choose to deny/block it than voila... IE is now the enemy. LOL

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE