Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2009, 07:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Restoring files?

Hi all. I need help! my dad is very computer challenged, and today he some how wrote over his 2008 work file. It contains all of his invoices and everything. Its in quattro pro, which is a spreadsheet. And he never backed it up. Is there anyway to see or get the old part back? Its going to take him days to redo.
Old January 15, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but.... If he wrote OVER it, chances are there's nothing you can do.
Old January 15, 2009, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Bah. I thought so, but I was hoping
Old January 15, 2009, 08:22 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have never actually tried it but if he has Vista you can try possibly the shadow copy thingy (right click on the file and I believe it says "Previous Versions" there somewhere. Something to consider.

If he had simply deleted it then there are various file recovery programs available to try...I have used Bad Copy Pro, and "Recover My Files" to successfully fix corrupted files and to retrieve deleted files.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 15, 2009, 04:21 PM
Allstar

I haven't used Quattro in a VERY long time but as I recall it made it's own backup's automatically as you worked so that there was always the last copy available for restore. I for get if they used a ~ in the extension on bkp/bak now. As I said it was quite some tije ago but you might check in both the working directory adn Quattro's own directories and see if a backup might be there.
Old January 16, 2009, 07:50 AM
MVP

In Corel QuattroPro:
  • Open QuattroPro, and then click on “Edit” and then “Preferences”. Click on the “File Options” tab. Check that “Timed Document Backup Every” has a check mark in the box in front of it, and a time value in the “minutes” window. If you want QuattroPro to use a different default directory, you can type the full path in the “Directory” window, however, QuattroPro uses the last-used directory as the default directory, so your preference may not stick.
check this to see what preferences your Dad has set and where the backups may be
Old January 19, 2009, 12:14 PM
Top Prospect

If you can't find them in the default backup file, there are data recovery services, that is, if your dad's information is important enough to warrant the cost to have it recovered.
Asus P5K Deluxe / Intel Core2Quad Q9550@8x425@3400mhz(1.225v) / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / 4Gigs DDR2 1066mhz(5-5-5-15) Corsair Dominator / Diamond HD4870x2 / Asus Xonar / WD Raptor 74gb / Hitachi 160GB / Antec Quattro 850w / Logitech Z-680 5.1 / Dell Ultrasharp 24" / 2 LG Optical Drives / Vista Ultimate 32bit / A tower that's been drilled, cut, and bent to fit all of my fans