Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2009, 08:00 PM
MVP

Question windows home server drives question

i was fussing over a fan and dislodged a sata cable in my server. i turned it on and the network icon was very red. it said a drive had either failed or was missing. plz insert a new or another drive.

can WHS make up the data ( like raid) if one of the drives fails? i have read around on the weeb and most articles want to compare it to raid but none give a definitive answer.

realized the cable was undone and replaced it, reset the server and all was well.

still get those "new connector" software warnings but now ignore them.

cheers

rob123

Last edited by rob123; January 4, 2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: will learn to spell someday
Old January 4, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post
i was fussing over a fan and dislodged a sata cable in my server. i turned it on and the network icon was very red. it said a drive had either failed or was missing. plz insert a new or another drive.

can WHS make up the data ( like raid) if one of the drives fails? i have read around on the weeb and most articles want to compare it to raid but none give a definitive answer.

realized the cable was undone and replaced it, reset the server and all was well.

still get those "new connector" software warnings but now ignore them.

cheers

rob123
What RAID do you have setup? You should have a program installed to monitor your RAID setup and if you look in there it should say that its rebuilding but it could take awhile.
Old January 4, 2009, 08:55 PM
MVP

the server is now fine.

i was not operating any raid as the software manual said to disable raid on the motherboard.

the server storage is what i expected to have from 4 500 gig seagates. although the system portion is a oinkish 22 gig. it acts like a raid array, just didnt see it in the book.

rob123