Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2008, 02:48 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Slysoft (makers of AnyDVD) moving to subscription model

I was sitting on the fence of whether or not to buy the AnyDVD-HD software but when I checked out their site last night it seems that they are moving to a subscription model for their software.

The thing is they have a lifetime update commitment for all people who have bought/or will buy before DEC 31st, with 20% off (seems they always have 20% off). Buy before then and all updates are free. After that, you pay a yearly fee.

I'm gonna throw this out there...I hope I wasn't a sucker for buying it...cost $100 Canadian for the HD version. Anybody else using this?
Fold for team #54196
Old December 28, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That seems to be the upcoming trend for software - subscription based yearly fees- I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft goes that route with Windows OS and updates - in fact a source of mine has hinted that to me a year ago ;-)
but anyways, $100 that's a lot.... Asking money for a major revision I can understand, and even for anti-virus ok it might be acceptable, but for minor bug fixes and small updates, a RIP-OFF IMO.
Old December 28, 2008, 05:45 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yeah I am having a little buyers remorse but it does come with lifetime updates to keep up with newer protections they will put on Blu-rays and I was looking at buying anyways.

I also heard that MS is looking at the subscription model too but I am not sure people are ready for that yet when it comes to an OS...perhaps they would try to sneak it in the back door and get people used to paying MS over time by offering MS antivirus with Windows (like they did with Defender in Vista), and people would pay for the AV and Defender updates, and then get people to pay for Windows updates and so on
Fold for team #54196
Old December 28, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I also heard that MS is looking at the subscription model too but I am not sure people are ready for that yet when it comes to an OS...perhaps they would try to sneak it in the back door and get people used to paying MS over time by offering MS antivirus with Windows (like they did with Defender in Vista), and people would pay for the AV and Defender updates, and then get people to pay for Windows updates and so on
The day Microsoft f*ckers does that is the day I will stop PAYING for my OS - It's enough that you have to pay a couple of hundred dollars for your OS, that should cover the updates - I shouldn't have to pay for MS's mistakes :)

As to AnyDVD HD, $100 CDN ? Damn !! I didn't know it was that expensive ! that's a lot of money ! If they do go with the subscription model, they should cut the price in half or more !
Old January 5, 2009, 11:21 AM
Top Prospect

It's a great product and all, but for that kind of money, there's alternatives
Watercooled CPU & GPU Saitek Eclipse II
Logitech G5
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit