Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default So how secure is XP Pro's FTP?

??? Seem's somebody is trying to gain access to my FTP on my Atom. I'm guessing this is fruitless as even admin users have no rights to write to it from the Internet? (it's sitting behind a router with only port's 80, 21 and the ones needed for Teamspeak forwarded)
Old December 16, 2008, 01:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Happens with any FTP software.

I was using Gene6 and Cerberus. Always some random spammer trying to get in using Administrator + random passwords. However with proper FTP software, you can ban these IPs after x number of failed logins.
Old December 16, 2008, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was just checking to see if my router had the capability to block IP's, but it doesn't.
Old December 16, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

XP as far as I know doesn't have a ftp server built in.

You need to add it.
Old December 17, 2008, 05:33 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Dr.Bends

Xp Pro has both a website and and a ftp program which can be added through Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs/Windows Components,you will need to supply your install disk to add the additional services.
ISS , Internet Information Services is used to control access to both the ftp site and the web site, it is found in Administrative tools.
Also under administrative tools is event viewer, in Application events you can see how many times spammers and hackers have tried to break into your computer.
Depending on how you set up the ftp a hacker can read your passwords and access your machine
I didnt want to change "Group Policies" on the machines I ran ftp on so I picked up Filezilla.
It is a lot easier to use for access control. It issues a SSL Certificate in 3 user selected levels of encryption.
All this goodness still doesnt stop the attempts made on your machine but you can sit back and grin without too much worry as they try.
Old January 14, 2009, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well the attacks stopped, funny how blocking port 21 on my router does that, http requests to it work just fine though, or at least nobody has complained about not being able to see my posted images yet...
Old January 14, 2009, 04:28 PM
Allstar

same shit happen to me couple days ago ... was on a sunday and after have a good lunch i went downstair on the ftp box thats running under my desk ....

some have been trying to acces my ftp server with the administrator account for now 6 hours .... i was like WTH ... is ip was show in the log ....

did a quick search for the IP and its was from singapour ... i also found is ISP ip range ... but a little rule in the firewall to blokc the WHOLE isp IP range .. that way if he would chance is IP i would still be protected ....

i also emailed the admin of that ISP and send him the log ... he replied me back and told me that i wasnt the 1st one to complain about that ip adress and he block it ...

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb