Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2007, 11:05 PM
Rookie

Default My Favourite Free Anti Malware Tools

If you're looking to keep nasty malware off your system in the first place, here are several programs I recommend:
  1. Spybot - Be sure to update AND immunize, otherwise it will not act as protection. You don't really need the tea timer etc. Great for removal too.
  2. Spyware Blaster - Remember to keep this updated and enable all protection. You have to do it manually or you can pay for automatic updates.
  3. Comodo BOClean - If you're prone to nasties, this will keep you clean for sure. All of my at-risk clients that can deal with a little performance loss get this program.
  4. Spyware Terminator - Can be a bit of a system hog, but it's excellent for prevention and removal. However, the prevention mechanism can be a little naggy.
As a side note, make sure your Java version is up-to-date. Some of the worst nasties get in through vulnerabilities in older versions. Make sure you remove the old versions from the control panel as well.

Last edited by clickright; May 13, 2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old May 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Check out one called Spyware Terminator.. its free and I find it does a really good job.
Old May 13, 2007, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is Adaware still in favor?
Old May 13, 2007, 05:21 PM
MVP
F@H

Does a hammer count?
Old May 13, 2007, 05:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I still use AdAware for my home use, but the app that seems to be making the rounds lately is hitman pro....

Hitman Pro | Alles-in-1 oplossing tegen spyware - Home

This thing runs several complimentary programs but really ties up your system for a while.

Supposedly it's the cat's ass for cleaning up those systems that friends drop off at your place after telling you that they haven't even done a defrag in over a year, and get glazed eyes if you ask them what spyware/AV they run on a normal basis...... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 13, 2007, 05:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Is Adaware still in favor?
For removal, sure. However if you're looking for prevention, you have to get the paid version.
Old May 13, 2007, 05:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Check out one called Spyware Terminator.. its free and I find it does a really good job.
Definitely, I've added to the list as well. The only thing about it is that the prevention mechanism can get a little in your face.

Last edited by clickright; May 13, 2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old May 13, 2007, 05:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I still use AdAware for my home use, but the app that seems to be making the rounds lately is hitman pro....

Hitman Pro | Alles-in-1 oplossing tegen spyware - Home

This thing runs several complimentary programs but really ties up your system for a while.

Supposedly it's the cat's ass for cleaning up those systems that friends drop off at your place after telling you that they haven't even done a defrag in over a year, and get glazed eyes if you ask them what spyware/AV they run on a normal basis...... :)
Yes, it definitely works well. Might not be the best choice if you're in a hurry though