Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Facebook loses e-mail notification profiles (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/12333-facebook-loses-e-mail-notification-profiles.html)

sswilson November 29, 2008 07:00 PM

Facebook loses e-mail notification profiles

Just got this e-mail from facebook....

Quote:

Unfortunately, the settings that control which email notifications get sent to you were lost. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
To reset your email notification settings, go to:
Login | Facebook
Thanks,
The Facebook Team
First thing that went through my mind was that it was a phishing scheme, but looks like it's legit (came up when I visited facebook without using the link provided).

I'd have thought that a site like Facebook would have put out some form of press release to cover this, especially with the recent virus threat.

encorp November 29, 2008 07:11 PM

Dosn't look legit to me; esp cause people are complaining that it isn't on facebook atm.

sswilson November 29, 2008 07:13 PM

Like I said in my original post, I accessed it directly from the facebook homepage rather than through the link provided in the e-mail.

If it isn't legit, it's something that's wormed its way into the coding on the facebook site.

encorp November 29, 2008 07:25 PM

Yeah I dunno; it hasn't come up for me yet.. it's really odd that they'd lose data like that.

Brian November 30, 2008 08:26 AM

I had it happen for me, pretty sure it's legit. Seems like just a bug. It doesn't do anything but take you to the official notifications page. (when you're logged in)
They seem to have a lot of bugs whenever they change any feature on there :bleh:

b1lk1 November 30, 2008 09:09 AM

Honestly, I cannot see how anyone would trust facebook with ANY personal information at all, even a simple email address is not safe in that hole.

encorp November 30, 2008 09:39 AM

That's why I fabricated everything on it lol.

sswilson November 30, 2008 09:55 AM

Heh... I don't use it for anything. I might visit it once or twice a month. :)

b1lk1 November 30, 2008 10:22 AM

Facebook and all sites like it are like those big stocked fishing ponds except it is called phishing when done online. There are soooooo many phish and not enough time to scoop up all their info. I have never even logged into one of those sites and forbid anyone in my house to as well. They are just evil in my eyes.

tzetsin December 1, 2008 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 119806)
Facebook and all sites like it are like those big stocked fishing ponds except it is called phishing when done online. There are soooooo many phish and not enough time to scoop up all their info. I have never even logged into one of those sites and forbid anyone in my house to as well. They are just evil in my eyes.

My wife and all my immediate family are on it, and they were all suprised when i refused lol. they said " your the biggest computer geek in the family, we thought you would have been on it ages ago?" I replied... "Im the biggest computer geek in the family and i'm NOT on it, and WONT go on it... what does that tell you? Hrm?"

heh... they didnt get it... *sigh*