Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2008, 10:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Problem Installing COD4

Hi all,
Still trying to figure out my COD4 running on SATA Optical Drive "issue"..which has led me to another problem...I'm trying to install COD4 onto my Seagate 300 Gig Drive "F Drive". Now when I get prompted to install aftet inserting the COD4 Disc, I select "Custom Install" so that I can choose the location. I select my F Drive and get the following error when I hit "install":
"Error 1303 - The installer has insufficient privelages to access this directory F:\Mods. The install cannot continue. Log on as Administrator or contact your system administrator"

Now, I see no folder whatsoever called Mods, I'm simply selecting the F Drive instead of my C Drive as my C Drive is only 74 GB.
Also, when I did a clean install of Windows XP I had to select one name to enter in users, so selected mine. If I log off and log back on thier is only my name thier to log onto. However, if I boot into safe mode I have the choice of admin or me..?
Anyhow, I was under the assumption that I was the admin....?...can anyone help me out here and shed some light...I'm just trying to install COD4 onto my other HD.....so I can continue to troubleshoot the other problem

Thanks guys for any assistance

Old November 27, 2008, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Did you grab this drive off anther system, or left over from a previous install? Heres something to try and check permissions are set correctly;

Right click on your F: Drive, go to properties, then to the tab "security"

And make sure that permissions are set that everyone has full control. Should work

If it doesn't go back to the above screen but press "advanced" go to the tab "owners"

Select your self, check off the replace owner on subcontainers and objects like I did in above screenshot and press apply.

A warning window will most likely pop up saying "yadda yadda yadda, All permissions will be replaced if yes is pressed", click YES. All should be well

If that STILL doesn't work, come back to us for more troubleshooting.

Last edited by Chilly; November 27, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old November 27, 2008, 11:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hi Chilly,
Thanks for the response..was trying to install Crysis on my F Drive as well...to no avail..same type of error..anyhow, when I right click on my C or my F Drive and go to Porperties, I do not have a "Security" Tab?? This Drive was my original OS Drive however it has been reformatted and is now strictly data / games oh nad my Paging File.

Old November 27, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Prey did install on the Drive fine...?...odd the others won't...

Old November 28, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Hi Chilly,
Thanks for the response..was trying to install Crysis on my F Drive as well...to no avail..same type of error..anyhow, when I right click on my C or my F Drive and go to Porperties, I do not have a "Security" Tab?? This Drive was my original OS Drive however it has been reformatted and is now strictly data / games oh nad my Paging File.
Are you on Windows XP Home? Or Pro? The security tab only shows up in XP Pro.
Old November 28, 2008, 12:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

XP Home...however, played in Device Manager and Accounts, didn't really change anything and voila, it works, installed onto F Drive wihtout any problems..thanks guys, i'll see if Crysis will also install on F Drive...

Old November 28, 2008, 04:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Are you on Windows XP Home? Or Pro? The security tab only shows up in XP Pro.
Whoops, I just assume everyone has XP Pro and that XP Home doesn't exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
XP Home...however, played in Device Manager and Accounts, didn't really change anything and voila, it works, installed onto F Drive wihtout any problems..thanks guys, i'll see if Crysis will also install on F Drive...
Good to hear we were useless for once! Glad the hear your problems gone away, hope crysis works for you as well.