Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2008, 12:48 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default 64bit OEM Vista on multiple computers?

OK so I couldn't find a clear answer on this anywhere so I thought I would ask this anyway. My roommate has an OEM version of 64-bit Vista that he is currently using. Would I be able to install this on my computer? I'm certain that technically you "can't" but is there a way around it? Keep in mind both computers will continue to use the same copy so calling MS to reactivate isn't a solution.

Looking to save a few dollars on my new build. Would like to keep using my 32bit XP but I want 4+GB of RAM.
Old November 26, 2008, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

No you can't.

And don't worry about needing 64bit your 32bit is perfectly fine.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
No you can't.

And don't worry about needing 64bit your 32bit is perfectly fine.
eh? I'm pretty sure 32bit XP can't use more than 3GB and certainly not more 4GB of RAM. I plan to get either 4GB of DDR2 with an E8400 or 6GB of DDR3 with i920.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evylldemon View Post
eh? I'm pretty sure 32bit XP can't use more than 3GB and certainly not more 4GB of RAM. I plan to get either 4GB of DDR2 with an E8400 or 6GB of DDR3 with i920.
It can't but your not going to notice any difference between 3, 4, 5 or 6gb of memory.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That depends on what he does. I know I was pushing my previous 2x1GB kit.. but then again I liked to run virtual machines and stuff.*shrug*
Do not try to push people away from 4GB+ until you know that they really do not need it. Yes, most do not need 4GB or more but still...

Last edited by MacJunky; November 26, 2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evylldemon View Post
OK so I couldn't find a clear answer on this anywhere so I thought I would ask this anyway. My roommate has an OEM version of 64-bit Vista that he is currently using. Would I be able to install this on my computer? I'm certain that technically you "can't" but is there a way around it? Keep in mind both computers will continue to use the same copy so calling MS to reactivate isn't a solution.

Looking to save a few dollars on my new build. Would like to keep using my 32bit XP but I want 4+GB of RAM.
That'd be illegal, though you could more than likely do it & get it activated too.
If you're really tight for funds, i might say save the pennies for the x64 version of 7, which we'll be seeing soon enough.

Quote:
It can't but your not going to notice any difference between 3, 4, 5 or 6gb of memory.
Nonsense.

Just because you don't run programs that utilize much memory doesn't mean others won't...
It's especially helpful in Vista having additional RAM, as it's incredibly easy to run well over 3-4 GB usage if you multitask alot.

32-bit OSes are "perfectly fine" for low end users or those still stuck with XP, but they have no place in a high end setup, sorry.
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old November 26, 2008, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
That'd be illegal, though you could more than likely do it & get it activated too.
If you're really tight for funds, i might say save the pennies for the x64 version of 7, which we'll be seeing soon enough.

Nonsense.

Just because you don't run programs that utilize much memory doesn't mean others won't...
It's especially helpful in Vista having additional RAM, as it's incredibly easy to run well over 3-4 GB usage if you multitask alot.

32-bit OSes are "perfectly fine" for low end users or those still stuck with XP, but they have no place in a high end setup, sorry.
Still stuck with XP? Nothing wrong with XP at all. I don't get why people assume that since Vista is out that XP is old and needs to be kicked the curb.

I also never said he didn't need it I said you won't notice much difference.
Old November 26, 2008, 08:35 PM
Allstar

Hmmm, XP, Vista, 2000, whateva, Ive used them all, ANd personally, it wouldnt even matter to me what I use. Even if I was running a web server, I could fasibly do it with 512 MB of ddr. If I was running a email server, I could do it with even less. BUT, if Im gaming, I can use any system, but I would want 4 GB of ram. 2000 server is pretty much the same as 2000 desktop, same with XP, and they both are very powerfull OS's. VIsta, is something entirely differant. NOt really a server grade kernal, but not really as usefull as 2000 was either. XP, is awesome. I jsut wish Microshaft would include a DX10 port natively in the enterprise class servers :)
Old November 26, 2008, 08:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
I did feel a noticeable speed increase for general computer use and loading of programs when upgrading from 2GB to 4GB. This was using Vista x64 which I have stripped to the bone. I would say getting >4GB is starting to become excessive with current games, but for someone doing 3D work and/or video editing, it can be very necessary.

bit-tech.net | Review - Is More Memory Better?
Here you can see it generally does increase the minimum framerate and loading/alt-tabbing time.
Old November 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
I did feel a noticeable speed increase for general computer use and loading of programs when upgrading from 2GB to 4GB. This was using Vista x64 which I have stripped to the bone. I would say getting >4GB is starting to become excessive with current games, but for someone doing 3D work and/or video editing, it can be very necessary.

bit-tech.net | Review - Is More Memory Better?
Here you can see it generally does increase the minimum framerate and loading/alt-tabbing time.
You only noticed a difference because Vista dumped more of itself into RAM. If superfetch in Vista didn't exist you'd feel no difference.