Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Looking for a FLAC ripper and converter. (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/12204-looking-flac-ripper-converter.html)

muse108dc November 25, 2008 08:03 PM

Looking for a FLAC ripper and converter.

I have some CDs which I want to rip in lossless but cant find any good software, any suggestions?

enaberif November 25, 2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse108dc (Post 117630)
I have some CDs which I want to rip in lossless but cant find any good software, any suggestions?

Lossless is a waste of space, just rip them to mp3.

joeperson November 25, 2008 08:28 PM

preferably ogg :P

foobar2000 with the proper codecs

enaberif November 25, 2008 08:41 PM

ogg is just as useless.

And I should fix my statement, lossless isn't useless, just most people don't have the equipment to notice the difference between a mp3 and a flac file.

Nodscene November 26, 2008 07:13 AM

Well, I partially agree with enaberif. Ogg was created to give better audio quality for the lower end of the bitrate spectrum and isn't as good of a codec a LAME. Flac doesn't need killer equipment to be able to notice the difference from mp3's. It really depends on the person. The nice thing about flac though is that you can archive your music and from there be able to make mp3's out of them or even ogg if that is what you want.

Either way you can get it at FLAC - download

After you download the codec then you can get a program to rip them if you scroll further down the page. I've used the Flac frontend and multi-frontend with great success.

cadaveca November 26, 2008 09:20 AM

what he ^^ said.

enaberif November 26, 2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodscene (Post 117749)
Well, I partially agree with enaberif. Ogg was created to give better audio quality for the lower end of the bitrate spectrum and isn't as good of a codec a LAME. Flac doesn't need killer equipment to be able to notice the difference from mp3's. It really depends on the person. The nice thing about flac though is that you can archive your music and from there be able to make mp3's out of them or even ogg if that is what you want.

Either way you can get it at FLAC - download

After you download the codec then you can get a program to rip them if you scroll further down the page. I've used the Flac frontend and multi-frontend with great success.

OGG is a non-standard format so if you ever wanted to put it onto a portable media player a lot of them don't recognize it; so again mp3 is better.

FLAC again is a waste of space as I'm talking 600-700mb of space compared to 60-70mb of space and 90% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a lossless format and a mp3 due to audio equipment not being up to standards.

Spaceman-Spiff November 26, 2008 02:49 PM

I'm assuming muse108dc is one of the 10%, so: The BonkEnc Project - BonkEnc Home

There are many other FLAC CD Ripper programs, but most aren't free.

enaberif November 26, 2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman-Spiff (Post 117944)
I'm assuming muse108dc is one of the 10%, so: The BonkEnc Project - BonkEnc Home

There are many other FLAC CD Ripper programs, but most aren't free.

Since we haven't heard from muse I'm going to assume he heard about lossless but doesn't know the real details about it.

Nodscene November 26, 2008 04:00 PM

I've yet to see an album require 600-700 mb of space when using Flac. If that's the case then you aren't using any compression at all and should check your settings. Normally it's in and around 300 to 400 megs tops for a typical album.