Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default HP OEM install creates new accounts

Ok, so I have an issues with a notebook I am working on fixing. It had a fairly simple registry error (c0000218) that on a non OEM machine is no problem to fix. I went into the recovery console and replaced %windir%\system32\config\software with the one from %windir%\repair.

That worked fine, but what this HP dv9000 has done is right after that I rebooted and it went into windows with no issue but it had created a new user account. Basically it had made it so there was an administrator and then a administrator.0000 and it did the same with the user account, bob only and now a second one bob only.bob.

Now even that would be sort of ok if you could log into the original account, but if you try to it just reverts to the new one it created. This of course has caused some of the programs, such as office, to not work.

I have tried copying the files (including all hidden files) from the old account to the new account and that doesn't seem to help at all. I have also gone into safe mode and deleted the new accounts but after rebooting they appear again.

I know that I can just get everything reinstalled but that is a hassle and would prefer to be able to just return the notebook totally back to normal. Does anyone have any ideas of how to avoid or fix this stupid double account thing that the OEM does?

Old November 21, 2008, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I guess no one has run into this. :-(

Ah well, I will just do things the hard way and try the reinstall of software.

Old November 21, 2008, 08:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, 21 views so at least folks had a look. Too bad there wasn't a solution.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 21, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea, I haven't ever run into this happening before. I've done the same reg fix on OEM Dell's with no issue but I guess this HP stuff is just messed.