Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2008, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default (Vista) Disable/Enable network adaptor automatically

I've got an issue with my secondary rig and I'm wondering if someone can help me perhaps with a script or something.

Here's the situation:

The wireless adaptor drops the signal every once in a while and it's a big PITA because I have to go into Manage Network Connections and disactivate and reactivate the device.

Then it works fine until the next time I have to do this. The problem is, when I'm folding, it sits idle for long periods of time waiting for the connection to be reset.

I'm wondering if there's a little script or something I can use to automatically deactivate and reactivate that device on an hourly basis or something.

It would really save me a lot of headaches and also really help my PPD, since I can't even use GPU folding on that machine right now.

Thanks!
Old November 20, 2008, 07:00 AM
Allstar

Check if your system is putting your wireless connection to sleep to save power, sometimes they don't like to wake up.
Attached Images

Old November 20, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll check that, but it also does it in the middle of actively using the computer.
Old November 20, 2008, 08:51 AM
Allstar

Sounds like you have poor signal integrity. I'm not a big fan of wireless access points and only use one for my notebook computer and the wii.

I had a similar problem and what I did was to go to Device Manager,under network adapters - right click the adapter and went to properties. Next I clicked the driver tab and click roll back Driver, once done I restarted ; it works 100%.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

CHEERS
Old November 20, 2008, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll try.

Realistically, I just want a workaround so it uploads my WUs when I'm not around.

Last edited by zlojack; November 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM.