Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Re-Installing XP - Format / Partition Drives

Hey all,
Just threw a 74GB Raptor in and would like to do a "Clean Install" of XP (System on my Raptor Drive) and 2 Partitions on my Seagate 320 GB.

I haven't done a "Clean Install" of XP previously...sounds fairly basic "step be step"...Format HD's, Partition and Install XP, Register XP and Update to SP3 etc etc..

Question: My XP SP2 Disc is an OEM Disc purchased from DC about a year ago ( have the 25 character Key Code), will thier be any problems with this installation becaude it is not a "Retail" version?
Thought I'd check to see what I may be in for prior to going ahead with this.

Also, would my Windows Office Professional 2000 be compatible with Vista Home Premium 64 Bit?

Thanks folks

Old November 17, 2008, 03:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

With an OEM version of XP, so long as your hardware hasn't changed too much it'll just be a matter of re-installing and activating once it's installed. If your hardware has changed and it's been less than 6 months since you last used the key, you may have to call M$ to get it activated, but I've never had a problem no matter how many hardware changes I've gone through with a single license.

Don't have a clue on the Office pro compatability.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 17, 2008, 03:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Hey all,
Just threw a 74GB Raptor in and would like to do a "Clean Install" of XP (System on my Raptor Drive) and 2 Partitions on my Seagate 320 GB.

I haven't done a "Clean Install" of XP previously...sounds fairly basic "step be step"...Format HD's, Partition and Install XP, Register XP and Update to SP3 etc etc..

Question: My XP SP2 Disc is an OEM Disc purchased from DC about a year ago ( have the 25 character Key Code), will thier be any problems with this installation becaude it is not a "Retail" version?
Thought I'd check to see what I may be in for prior to going ahead with this.

Also, would my Windows Office Professional 2000 be compatible with Vista Home Premium 64 Bit?

Thanks folks
office should be, i would move to 2003 or 2007 though cause of program compatibility in general
Old November 17, 2008, 03:48 PM
Top Prospect

You should be Okay, just make sure that your hard drive are the same type...ie sata. If they are not sata then you would need to slipstream the motherboard sata controller driver onto the windows xp install disk with nlite.

Paphman910
Old November 17, 2008, 03:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Office Pro 2000 is compatible with Vista 64bit home Premium.

@ SSwilson, not completely true on the single license. A friend of mine had XP Home and I think it was after the 5 time installing it, on the same computer with no hardware changes but but adding an HDD one of the times, he had to call M$ in order to get the key to work. Forget what the actual issue was with the key but M$ disabled it due to so many installs and registrations.
Old November 17, 2008, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks guys, have been a few Hardware changes sine last install:
1. additional Memory
2. additional GPU's
3. 1 additional HD

Both of my HD's are SATA
Quote:
Good to know, this has been the main reason I have not tried out Vista....really not into spending the additional $$$ to update my Officer version.

Old November 17, 2008, 04:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post

@ SSwilson, not completely true on the single license. A friend of mine had XP Home and I think it was after the 5 time installing it, on the same computer with no hardware changes but but adding an HDD one of the times, he had to call M$ in order to get the key to work. Forget what the actual issue was with the key but M$ disabled it due to so many installs and registrations.
Yep, I've heard of that happening, but I'm not sure if I've heard of it happening more than once on the same license so maybe they flag the # as a "frequent installer" after you've talked to them? Dunno... the mysteries of M$ licensing dos & don'ts are mostly beyond me, but I do know I'm running two OEM licenses right now that have been through 5+ complete hardware changes and are still going strong. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 17, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks Mr Wilson et all,
One more thing, I've backed-up by Outlook Personal Folders n Sub Folders .pst, Firefox Favourites and all Software utilities I use for OC'ing. Now, I have also downloaded my most recent GPU Driver and MOBO Drivers (both nVidia) onto a Jump Drive, will I be able to access my Jump Drive (to install MOBO Drivers) from Windows? Or should the MOBO Drivers be burned onto a CD?
Just about thier...

Old November 17, 2008, 04:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If the key doesn't work for some reason, just call them up and explain to them it isn't a new system simply a few upgrades. They have some funny rules where they will fight you and try to get you to purchase another copy of Windows due to comp change. Apparently the key licensed to the computer and not the purchaser. But I have yet to see a case where a new key had to be purchased. The person on the phone always seems to cave and let you use the key "Just 1 more time" same thing goes for the next 3 times you call too

EDIT: not 100% on your mobo but your USB may run at Legacy 1.1 before the mobo drivers but yes you will be able to access the drive through windows.
Old November 17, 2008, 05:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

RJ, you won't have any problems with reactivation. Same mobo and processor as original install. If you have any issues with it activating, just call the 800 number, it takes about 6 minutes, and if they ask, your HDD died and you're reinstalling on a new one. Simple.